News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Couplers and Electronic Organs

Started by dragonser, February 10, 2012, 11:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonser

Hi,
just a quick question or two. I've been working on the specification of an analogue instrument I'm building, and wondered what Couplers you would suggest as being the most useful ?
a few brief details, 2 manual instrument with Pedals, classical voicing. intended as a practice organ.
for example would a swell to pedal coupler be more useful than a swell to great coupler ?
or is it a more complex question that depends on the stops and voicing of a particular instrument and what Music was going to be played ?
of course if I was designing a Digital / software  instrument it is easier to add as many couplers as are needed and also add in octave and sub octave couplers.

regards Peter B

David Pinnegar

Hi!

Within limited resources no doubt people will have different opinions but both Swell to Great and Great to Pedal are important . . .

Best wishes

David P

revtonynewnham

Hi

The importance of couplers is in inverse proportion to the completeness of the tonal design of the organ's departments - especially the pedals, and, to an extent, the main repertoire that it's designed to play.  However, assuming that you're using some form of electronic keying, rather than direct keying of each pitch, then adding unison couplers should be pretty easy.  I certainly wouldn't want to be with Sw-Gt - if only for the effect of a crescendo on the swell reed(s) over Great diapasons (there are other uses as well!), and manual to pedal couplers are also pretty useful at times, although I've played a few pipe organs with no Sw-Pd - because the Swell dept stopped at Tenor C.

Every Blessing

Tony