News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Forster & Andrews organ at Fair Mile, Wallingford, Oxon

Started by ian.wheeler, January 12, 2011, 09:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ian.wheeler

Although I am not involved in the issue directly, I am keen to help find a new home for a Forster and Andrews 2-manual pipe organ, which is redundant and awaiting disposal near Wallingford, Oxon.
The instrument is from 1891 and in original and generally good order, having had a blower added but manual pumping retained. A knowledgable report states that it is of excellent quality and that restoration would be an easy matter, having been maintained at regular intervals.
It is a 'catalogue' organ, similar to many currently available but this example may represent an easy option.
Contact details and photos available through my email address.

NonPlayingAnorak

It would seem that it's not on the NPOR - could you put details up here, please? Email them to our member revtonynewnham too, as he's the NPOR's editor.

revtonynewnham

Hi

Better still, e-mail them to the NPOR office - then it will go to whichever editor is next in line when it reaches the top of the pile!  If it goes into my personal "pending" list, it could be a very long time before it resurfaces, as I give priority to the routine updates and anything else only gets looked at if I've some spare time.  (The oldest e-mail awaiting attention is a mere 2 years old in my list!)  Also, if it goes to the office, there's less chance of anything going astray should I run into health problems, etc. as I did a couple of years ago.

Every Blessing

Tony

ian.wheeler

revtonynewnham

Hi

Yes - the e-mail address is manager@npor.bcu.ac.uk (Let me know if that doesn't work - the university did have some problems with e-mail a while ago).

F&A organs were well built - their later instruments tending to be based on the Schultz style of organ.  Well worth rehousing.

Every Blessing

Tony

Barry Williams

Full details of the Fairmile Hospital Chapel instrument, including comprehensive photographs, were sent by me to NPOR early in December.

Unfortunately, the editor concerned, Philip Rogers, died shortly after receiving the information.  I have since passed the details on to another NPOR editor, but it may be some time before the information can be processed, for there is a huge backlog of reports to deal with.

The instrument is a Forster & Andrews of 1891, seemingly in original condition, apart from overhauls and the addition of an electric blower.  Regrettably, there are many fine instruments available on the market at the moment.  If this one were carefully restored it might well qualify for an historic organ certificate.

Barry Williams

revtonynewnham

Hi

Since the organ in question is "at risk", and Barrie has sent me the info, I'll try and remember to put it up on Friday.

Every Blessing

Tony

Barry Williams

Just a note to say that Tony has kindly posted full details of this fine instrument on NPOR.  It can be found under 'Fairmile', not 'Fair Mile' as given in the heading to this thread.

Tony has kindly included quite a few of my wife's excellent photographs.

Barry Williams

Thank you Tony for dealing with this so promptly.

revtonynewnham

Hi Barry

Actually, the major credit goes to Phil - the survey was entered by him - I just added the pictures last Friday.

Every Blessing

Tony