News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Lyme Regis Organ School course 24th-26th February Music for Holy Week Easter

Started by David Pinnegar, January 20, 2011, 05:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Pinnegar

Hi!

The Lyme Regis course looks excellent and well worth the £150 cost for the three days, Thursday Friday and Saturday. The Lyme Regis organ is a new 50 rank instrument built by Skrabl in Slovenia, tracker, and this is a great opportunity to have the privilege to become familiar with such an exciting beast.

Tutors include:
Philip Scriven ex Lichfield Cathedral but now at Cranleigh School - a place of an exciting new organ
Richard Godfrey, organ consultant to the Salisbury DAC
David Bruce-Payne, ex Birmingham Cathedral
Robert Fielding, Romsey Abbey
Timothy Hone, Salisbury Cathedral.

One cannot imagine a more comprehensive lineup and the various illustrated talks and study sessions look very interesting and informative.

Organists of all levels are encouraged.

Perhaps people who have recently started taking up the organ again through using Hauptwerk at home would find such a course a brilliant opportunity . . . And others who are taking on the challenge at their local church . . .

For further details please contact Dr Godfrey on email rgodfrey78 |at| hotmail.com
or phone 0 * 1 * 2 * 9 * 7 *   * 4 * 4 * 5 *   * 7 * 0 * 9

Best wishes

David P

organforumadmin

Quote from: NonPlayingAnorak on January 20, 2011, 07:53:14 AM
50 ranks? That's pretty big! Edited out by Admin on account of unsupported information

A bad workman blames his tools. A good musician makes music on whatever instrument is to hand. A 50 rank instrument will have many and varied tonal resources to draw on. This course is about how to make music, even on an instrument whose idioms may be unfamiliar. Opinions from playing organists with first hand experience are more worthwhile than from non-players.

This thread is about encouraging organ playing education, not opinionated noise about the quality of a particular instrument. Please will you keep relevancy in mind if you choose to contribute to this forum.

Admin

Barrie Davis

The church seems very pleased with the instrument, it may not sound like a Willis or Harrison, but isn't it good to have a diversity of instruments in this country?

In Birmingham I prefer the Town Hall Organ to that in Symphony Hall but that is a matter of personal taste!!!!

David Pinnegar

Last evening I was chatting with a recital organist with first hand knowledge of the instrument whose only criticism of the organ was the size of the music desk . . .

In spirit, here we have an adventurous Church obtaining an ambitious instrument and making it available in a way to spread enthusiasm for the organ and associated scholarship from first hand experience. We have five tutors making themselves available to pass on the benefit to all who come to them of their experience and expertise and such enthusiasm, vision and enterprise deserves our undiluted and unreserved, unsolicited support and promotion.

The course is being offered at a level at which the modest cost should not be a barrier to anyone taking up this splendid opportunity and I hope to hear reports that uptake has been good!

Best wishes

David P

[ ;) Perhaps we should set up a fund for non-players to improve their playing skills and gain first hand knowledge at the same time!]

NonPlayingAnorak

Of course diversity is a good thing! There are some excellent neoclassical organs (the work of Degens and Rippin/GDB comes to mind, as do certain Frobeniuses, Wm Drakes, Goetze and Gwynns, Aubertins...). I'd just heard that the - edited out by Admin on account of unsupported hearsay

organforumadmin

Quote from: NonPlayingAnorak on January 20, 2011, 04:39:27 PM
Of course diversity is a good thing! There are some excellent neoclassical organs (the work of Degens and Rippin/GDB comes to mind, as do certain Frobeniuses, Wm Drakes, Goetze and Gwynns, Aubertins...). I'd just heard that the - edited out by Admin on account of unsupported hearsay

This thread is about an organ course. It is not about the merits of different organs. Please will you observe relevancy.

Barrie Davis

Perhaps we should set up a fund for non-players to improve their playing skills and gain first hand knowledge at the same time!]

I agree!!!!!

Jonathan Lane

I would like to see how this course succeeds as there are very few such courses in the South West.  Perhaps someone on here will be going and report back in due course.

Jonathan

Jonathan Lane

Now we are some weeks past this, is there anyone on here who went and who could report back?

Jonathan