News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

New pipe organ inspires the writing of a Children's book...

Started by KB7DQH, January 28, 2011, 04:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KB7DQH

http://www.fairfieldcitizenonline.com/news/article/First-Church-s-new-pipe-organ-inspires-children-s-980516.php

QuoteAs a team of workers from the German-based Johannes Klais Orgelbau labored for months on the organ, Southport author Peter Saverine wrote a children's book about their work titled "A Little Mouse Music."

Quote"When do you ever get to see a pipe organ being built?" asked Peggy Gettig, who came up with the idea of the book. Gettig, co-chairwoman of the church's pipe organ committee and a member of the church's music board, said Phillip Klais of Johannes Klais Orgelbau wrote a children's book about the process when his company was installing an organ in Auckland, New Zealand. Klais' book was more instructive.

QuoteGettig said she wanted First Church's book to combine facts and fun. Saverine said Klais' book was "whimsical, but it didn't have a story. There was no narrative." In Saverine's book, the story is told through the eyes of three church mice and two German mice who stow away on a ship that brings the organ parts to Fairfield. In Saverine's tale, the German mice follow the shipment to Fairfield because they live at the Klais facility and get to watch workers handcraft organ parts but they never get to see them being assembled and they never get to hear music played from those organs.

Quote"We want to educate the children. Not many people are learning to play the organ as there were." She hopes the book will interest some children to take organ lessons.

Additionally, she said, the organ will need occasional tuning and maintenance, which requires funding. Because a tracker organ can last for hundreds of years, future generations of church-goers will be responsible for it, she said. "We want to create the stewards for this organ," Saverine said.

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

David Pinnegar

Dear Eric

Isn't this great!? Perhaps anyone able to find a link about where to buy the book might helpfully post it here . . . Perhaps we should suggest local Organists' Associations might popularise it a bit too . . .

Thanks for putting quotes from the article to save us having to go to another site - with shortage of time, probably I'm not unique in failing to click further . . .

Best wishes and many thanks

David P

KB7DQH

I seldom quote an entire article such as the one above and always include the link to the source material so as to preserve the intellectual property rights of the original author and prevent any legal nastiness that might ensue if credit to the original author isn't given :o

In this instance enough information is quoted to, I hope, generate interest in the full article... and in this case the book mentioned therein, (and of course for the organ which inspired the work in the first place ;)  for which the webpage on which the article appears, does contain some information on how to obtain the book ;D 8) 

Quote- with shortage of time, probably I'm not unique in failing to click further . . .

An excellent point... Indirectly you point out my failings as a contributor to this forum for not
bothering to provide the links in this thread to other articles about the instrument for which this book was inspired, and are "hiding in plain sight" :o :-[ on this very forum, no less ;) ???;D
Arguably, for the same reason :-[

Eric
KB7DQH

The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

KB7DQH

http://www.minutemannewscenter.com/articles/2010/10/20/fairfield/news/doc4cbf45383e215635998624.txt

This link also appears in the "new pipe organs" area under my subject "replacing an electronic" 8) 8) 8) 8)

Quote"A Little Mouse Music" is available for purchase at the church, the Fairfield Women's Exchange in Southport and at the Fairfield Museum and History Center.

There were hyperlinks buried in the previous quote in the article in question, but nothing that linked externally... so will have to dig a bit deeper to find an "online" source for the book :(

After looking over the Church website I found a link to their "store"... I suppose one could call the telephone number
Quote203.259.0449
and inquire...http://www.firstchurchfairfield.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=124&Itemid=47

I hope this helps point any interested parties in the right direction ;)

Eric
KB7DQH