News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

What would be a reasonable specification for a sports stadium organ???

Started by KB7DQH, February 07, 2011, 03:40:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KB7DQH

Events in recent weeks in Florida indicate that an organ of some sort will, along with a bar, will replace some 500+ seats in a county-owned multipurpose sports/entertainment venue, but primarily used for hockey.  Below these seats to be removed is a stage used for "concert" performances within this hall...

http://www.organmatters.co.uk/index.php?topic=442.0

The hockey team owners are proposing a number of improvements to the arena for which the pipe organ is just a part :o   

Judging by the pictures I have seen on the internet it appears the facility seats an audience of around
20,000 or so, so the acoustic space is about half that of Boardwalk Hall... but this is sort of an "educated" guess.

I earlier viewed a video on Youtube of the 6 manual, 50+rank Barton theater organ which was installed in Chicago Stadium...  Sadly, neither the stadium nor the pipework for this instrument survive, however the console now plays an instrument in a residence in Nevada :(

The Barton was something of a legend in Chicago... one of the comments remarked about a boxing match that ended in an "unpopular" decision... the riot that resulted quelled only when with all the stops drawn, the organist played a "March"... and was signed to a "lifetime" contract that day.

Bear in mind the team which plays in this stadium is named the "Tampa Bay Lightning" ;) and some sort of "visual effect" depicting a lightning bolt will appear at the "organ" end of the stadium upon the scoring of a home-team goal 8) (giant Tesla Coil ??? ;) so I imagine the pedal department of such an organ should contain stops appropriate and likely much more boldly-voiced than equivalents installed elsewhere ;D 8) ::) :o

In the news articles I have read the team owners hope to have all the improvements done in time for the Republican Party National Convention scheduled a mere two years away...  My guess is whoever plans this installation will have to "get cracking" if the organ is to be installed by that "deadline"...

Moreover I have seen absolutely nothing written in press releases or other press accounts, nor blogs, or anywhere on the Internet, anything about a proposed specification nor who in this country or anywhere else for that matter would be engaged in its construction :o   (Otherwise all viewing this forum would know ;D

So let us all dream and dream big ;D

Eric
KB7DQH

The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

KB7DQH

As  a member of this forum I am privileged to observe what the guests are having a look at...
and was quite heartened to find a guest viewing this subject.

Please, don't hesitate to register for an account and join the forum and let us know what you think;)

I type this knowing that in a few minutes the Superbowl gets going... I would much rather contribute to this forum, whilst listening to Jehan Alain's Trois Danses than watch a football game any day of the week... Maybe football franchises should install organs in their stadiums and I'd watch ??? 8) :o ;D

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

Barrie Davis

Hi

I recall seing a specification of an organ designed by Carlo Curley for a stadium in France, the organ was never built!!!
I think it was mentioned in his book, but the scheme of the organ with numerous Chamades looked very suited to such an environment. (It would have blown the players off the pitch!!!!!)

Barrie

KB7DQH

Well, by all means enlighten us ;D 

Not knowing the "reserve" roof weight carrying capacity of the building in question, I would hesitate to spec a 128' carbon-fiber diaphone ::) :o ;D   

Eric
KB7DQH

POC1927

Interesting post!  One which prompted me to register! As i was reading and looking through the links you provided, an image started to form in my mind.

I could be entirely wrong, but i have a sneaking suspicion that the organ already exists. There was a 1925 4/17 Wurlitzer (wind pressures of 10"-25"-35"- 50") that *vanished* from its original installation (Roosevelt Memorial Park Cemetery, in California), and everyone ive talked to regarding it has no idea where it has gone, only that its reported to be going to some large public venue. It was in danger of being removed to tear down its building in order to construct a mausoleum, which i learned about several years ago. I heard around July of 2010 (i think it was) that, *poof*,  it was indeed gone.

That would be the perfect core for a stadium organ. Loud, assertive, and commanding (it reportedly could be heard within a 5 mile radius of the park). It wouldn't surprise me if we see that organ resurface in that venue. But, i could be wrong. Would be cool though! And it would make perfect sense! There are not many places such a beast could realistically reside!

KB7DQH

QuoteInteresting post!  One which prompted me to register!

For starters... Welcome, POC1927!   I am more than pleased that you were able to battle your way through the registration process and enlighten us all of the possibility of an existing instrument which if "rehoused" would get the job done... or as you say form the "core" of an organ suited to such an installation ;) 8)

Quoteeveryone ive talked to regarding it has no idea where it has gone, only that its reported to be going to some large public venue.

That does "thicken the plot a bit" :o

QuoteIt wouldn't surprise me if we see that organ resurface in that venue. But, i could be wrong. Would be cool though! And it would make perfect sense! There are not many places such a beast could realistically reside!

Well, one can for the moment "hope"...  or do more?  Does somebody "out there" know of the whereabouts of this "missing Wurlitzer?" Moreover, what "large public venue" it is likely to be installed in ??? 

Anybody ???

Eric
KB7DQH

KB7DQH

http://www.organmatters.co.uk/index.php?topic=104.0 :(

Owner was hoping the Tampa Bay Rays might use it in a new stadium if it was built....

But at 42 ranks it may have enough power, but one would have to carefully evaluate the pipework to see...

Here's hoping it can find a good home...

I suppose one would have to research the scaling and wind pressure of the former Chicago Stadium Barton and "tear and compare"

Eric
KB7DQH

Branchporter

Here's another of the new features of the arena: "Tesla coils will be added on each side of the scoreboard which will be capable of shooting actual lightning some 25 feet".

With 25 foot sparks or arcs occurring within the building, I would be quite nervous about using digital components in the organ's key, stop and combination actions, or provide MIDI and transposing functions!

ZAP!
.... Dick Johnson