News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

An example of how "rehousing" can improve an instrument...

Started by KB7DQH, February 09, 2011, 09:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KB7DQH

This news story is so inspiring on a number of different levels but  it pointed out something that has yet to be discussed to any real extent on this forum... The most "important stop" of any pipe organ--
The space it is installed in... 

http://www.windsorstar.com/Mystery+benefactor+hits+right+note/4248604/story.html

Some selected quotes...

QuoteIt was a year ago that he told Ron Dossenbach, Bedford's music director and organist, that he thought his old childhood church could do better if it had a proper organ.

Dossenbach apologized for the sound that came from the older tracker action organ, inherited from Calvary United, but pointed out that his church with falling attendance could barely afford to keep its doors open, let alone purchase a new organ.

"Leave that to me," the kindly gentleman promised.

QuoteAt least until the day he was invited to make a trip to Sarnia to check out a Casavant organ at the former Park Street United Church.

At first, Dossenbach dismissed it, purely on the grounds of its "dreadful anemic sound."

But further investigation determined that the instrument's placement in "a remote organ chamber" might have been the cause of that.

"That's when I thought in our little church, it may sound good," he said.

QuoteAs the church's benefactor confided over the phone, it all came down to that Sunday service in Windsor: "I saw this worn out pipe organ. I thought, we have to do something better for poor old Bedford, and when we brought in the new one, it fit within a half an inch. And I knew it would make the room sing."

If you want to know this benefactor's name, or better still want to feel the rafters lift and heave with song in this old church, come out Feb. 27. Be there for the morning service, or come for the afternoon dedication at 4 p.m.

Or just stand on the street outside -you'll hear the glory of Bedford come alive.

Much discussion to follow?

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

David Pinnegar

Dear Eric

There's a case like this not far away at the village just north of Gatwick Airport - Charlwood. The instrument there is an 1840s (from memory) Holditch in the care of the excellent organ builder Eric Shepherd.

Curiously it just doesn't project into the space and the organist is wondering about putting a microphone somewhere inside it with judicious speaker placement at the back . . .

But looking at the church, once upon a time it had flat plaster lining to the roof which has been taken away to reveal the beams. No reflective surfaces are left so the acoustic is dead and clearly the organ's sound is not reflected and carried into the body of the church. It's a lovely instrument at the console . . . so the quality is there.

Meanwhile, one of the greatest organs in France at St Maximin is a real shock. Far from being stuffed with pipes, the pipes occupy probably about 6ft at the front of the organ case, the rest of the space being open with a good platform above the bellows and a stone wall behind. It has a pine panelled ceiling so in effect the pipes form the front of a giant box, a soundbox in effect, and the instrument's sound is multiplied and projected down the nave.

Best wishes

David P