News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Good Temperament in Texas?

Started by KB7DQH, February 16, 2011, 08:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KB7DQH

Some links to provide a smidgeon of background on what for the moment is Robert Pasi's Magnum Opus... his largest organ (in number of pipes) he has built, so far...maybe a quote to get things going...
QuoteAside from the weight of each pipe - with the heaviest pipe weighing in at a staggering 750 pounds - one of the most interesting features on the Opus XIX Pipe Organ at the Co-Cathedral of the Sacred Heart will be something called a "Clarinette" which marks one of the only free reed stops used on a pipe organ within the United States in modern times. True to Texas style, the Opus XIX also marks the largest pipe organ to date that Pasi Organ Builders, Inc. has constructed.

http://www.pasiorgans.com/instruments/opus19about.html

And from the Cathedral website...

http://www.sacredhearthouston.org/OPUS19/index.html

What was particularly intriguing was the temperament the instrument was tuned to...

QuoteThe organ is tuned in "Mark Brombaugh Mild," an unequal temperament that favors the keys nearest to C major while still remaining harmonious in the most distant keys.

This instrument is so new that there are as yet no commercially released recordings available that I am aware of...  yet.

However I have "archived" a radio broadcast containing music performed on this instrument :o ;)

My observations so far?  Well, it "works" 8) ;D

Eric
KB7DQH

The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."