News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

A very effective small 3 manual

Started by revtonynewnham, February 21, 2011, 12:14:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

revtonynewnham

Hi

Yesterday, the bradford Organists' association meeting took the form of an organ recital by Martin Baker, organist of the host church, St Oswald, Guiseley.  The organ is by Harrison - sse http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=E01229  There was an "open console" session following the recital.

Despite an apparent lack of stops, this is one of those rare organs where drawing virtually any 2 stops makes a musical - and useable - sound.  Also, with a little lateral thinking, it's even more versatile than at first glance.  One example - I played the Bach Chorale Prelude "O Mensch bewien die Sunde Gross) (apologies for my non-existent German!)  The Swell Cornopean, with box closed right down, makes a substitute for an Oboe - and was balanced by Choir flutes 8&4 or the Gt 8ft flute.  Not many organs have such effective swells.  In another Bach CP I used the choir flutes again, plus the swell Octave Gamba to give the effect of quiet upperwork.  As always, the stop list doesn't give the whole story.

Every Blessing

Tony

Barrie Davis

Hi

I think they were Harrison stock jobs there are identical organs at Wem and Bishops Castle in Shropshire. Yes they are very versatile organs.

Barrie