News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

A Hauptwerk Temperament Experiment

Started by KB7DQH, April 13, 2010, 09:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KB7DQH

On Contrebombarde.com, user Faziolli has uploaded two performances of the same piece on the same (Isnard St. Maximin) organ,  the first in the organ's "as-built" temperamenthttp://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/music/1907

the otherhttp://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/music/1908 in equal temperament...

I encourage all who visit this post to download and play both, one after the other, and think carefully about what your ears are telling you...

Just to make sure my mind wasn't playing games I messed about with the "key change" feature on my Realtek AC 97 soundcard...  Apparently the "equal" temperament shifts the key "flat"... but not a full note interval...  at least that is what I "think" is going on :-\  I don't have the tuning chart for that organ in front of me so I don't know if the "original" is tuned to A=440hz or not... or what is happening when Faziolli shifted his Hauptwerk organ into equal temperament... :-[

Either way the perceived emotional feel of the piece shifted remarkably with the temperament change, regardless of which key I played it back in 8) 8) 8)

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

David Pinnegar

Hi!

Thanks for posting these details. Fascinating comparison. The equal temperament is cold, bland, banal and boring. The registration is enough to make me start thinking about investing in Hauptwerk with the St Maximin sample set. It's such a wonderful sound!

Best wishes

David P