News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

New members - it would be great to introduce yourselves here

Started by organforumadmin, March 09, 2011, 01:11:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

organforumadmin

Hi!

It's great to be able an increasing number of organ enthusiasts into the forum and we hope that you'll make postings of any organ news of which you're aware . . . There are concerts going on in all sorts of places, for instance, and it would be great to hear about them and the instruments that they're being played on . . . etc.

However, among new members we've seen a pattern of new members joining the forum merely as another branch of SEO operations to obtain back links to Remove Fat Fast Pills and the like websites. That is not the function of this or any other forum and we have removed a number of such user accounts today. If yours happens to have been deleted by accident, please rejoin.

It's great if new members might introduce themselves here and tell us about your organ interests . . . and of course this will assist in our recognition of your genuine interest in due course when we have to take editorial decisions based on mere appearances. . .

Best wishes

Forum Admin

John

OK there Mr Administrator, I'm complying with your request, the first one it seems!

I registered earlier today and have been on the site ever since then, nearly five hours, without even a coffee or lunch break.   It's addictive, so far I've read lots of things I agree with, some which made me laugh and even weep and I've posted three comments already.

My main organ teacher was H.A. Bate (Jennifer's father) and I learned clarinet with Dr John Auton at Chigwell School.   I'm now well into retirement age and have mostly always earned my pennies from music in some shape or form.   I have sung in the choirs of New College Oxford, Ely and Wells Cathedrals and been organist of quite a few churches since the age of 21.  The most important was St. Bartholomew's Brighton, a fantastic, high in all senses church, with a Vienese musical tradition i.e. Mozart, Schubert, Hummel, Weber etc etc. every week.  I was more or less driven away from there by an eccentric (possibly mad) priest and went over to Norway for three and a half years, where an ordinary organist has status and salary - or at least they did in the 80's, maybe things are different now.

I have taugh, played, recited, conducted (choirs, choral societies, orchestras) and even spent time in a record shop and as a welfare worker for the Church Army in Germany.   For a while I worked with Harry Mudd and Abbey records, writing sleeve notes and also some producing of 45's and LPs of organ and choral music.

Although I left my last church appointment five years ago I still get asked to 'help out' at several churches in my area -   which is Somerset, Dorset, Devon borders.

I'm being boring now so won't go on.   Is this the sort of thing you hoped 'newbies' would write?

............. John

Barrie Davis

Hi John

Welcome to the forum, your introduction was most informative and thankyou for taking the time.

I have read your post about Crewkerne and I have to admit that situation makes me want to cry.

I met H A Bate once at St Marys Shrewsbury, he was an excellent organist and I am pleased that his daughter is now looking after the organ he designed.

I hope you will enjoy this site and contribute when you feel able. (It is addictive!!!!)

Best wishes

Barrie

David Pinnegar

Dear John

Thanks so much for introducing yourself! And also for letting us know how addictive the site is - and thanks for all so far for contributing to that. (It is appropriate whilst thanking people to mention that we owe a lot to NonPlayingAnorak also, for starting off some controversies which got discussions going . . . ).

This place is intended to be no comfortable consencus, other than in finding and spreading enthusiasm for the King of Instruments, no self appreciation society nor a place where any vested interests reign. So WELCOME!

We often notice a large number of guests visiting the site with few members logged in and it's nice to know that people are genuinely interested in organs. Recently there were a curious number of new members of which the clue to their interest was indicated only by an email address including the phrase "backlinkfactory" and registered websites went through to strangely irrelevant subject areas . . . The site administrator is still wondering whether a couple of the latter remaining undeleted are genuinely interested in organs, so it would be great to hear from such members that they are!

However, there's an argument that perhaps one should permit the blacklink freeloaders to register and then put Google Ads on the site, as they're likely to click through to anything, and the returns would contribute towards the cost of the server!  8)

Better to have real members like yourself, though, so WELCOME!

Best wishes

David P

dragonser

Hi,
I don't know if it would help but certainly some of the forums I am on let people join only when they have answered [ correctly ]  some questions relevant to the forum they want to join.
this does seem to reduce the number of posts adverts for "enhancing products"
one of the problems with the internet is that it is easy for anyone to get an email address and unless you check you don't quite know who you are talking with.

regards Peter B

in case anyone needs to know a little more about myself, I've been a member of Eocs for about seven ? years now, originally trained as an electronics engineer. and have been fascinated with the Pipe Organ / Harpsichord / Reed organ for much longer.

Quote from: organforumadmin on March 09, 2011, 01:11:31 AM
Hi!

It's great if new members might introduce themselves here and tell us about your organ interests . . . and of course this will assist in our recognition of your genuine interest in due course when we have to take editorial decisions based on mere appearances. . .

Best wishes

Forum Admin

Paul Duffy

Hello everyone,

My name is Paul and I'm an organolic!

I am organist at my local Catholic church and have recently started writing my own music using the excellent (and free) Musescore, and have done the odd organ recital in the past. The pipe organ at church is one built many years ago by Ainscough of Preston which still has its handpump in situ. I also have a Hammond Super CX 3000 at home for practice.

Best wishes,
Paul

JBR

Fair enough.  As a fairly new member I shall disclose my innermost secrets.

I am not an organist as I lack the necessary skills.  How anyone can play an instrument with both hands and both feet all moving in completely different directions completely baffles me.

I have had, however, a literally lifelong interest in the organ particularly its design and construction.  If I had had the foresight when much younger, I would have applied for an apprenticeship with an established organ builder.  If I could turn back the clock...!  (Still, then I would never have met my dear wife.)
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

morrisp

Hi,
Peter Morris - organist of Walsall Hall and Director of Music St Peter's Collegiate Church, Wolverhampton...which reminds me - time to leave for Wednesday evensong........
Peter

Barrie Davis

Welcome to the board Peter, its a long time since I last spoke with you!!!! Whats happening over the proposed rebuild at St Peters, I had heard Principal were going to do the work but nothing has been heard about it for ages.

Best wishes

Barrie

Lewisfreak

Dear all,

Just wanted to introduce myself. It's been a while since I used web forums so apologies in advance if I make any mistakes or post thing in the wrong place, I usually try and take care to do things the right way. I'm an amateur organist and played for services etc for a few years before becoming a professional organ tuner in the South West (UK) with a fairly busy tuning round, I work for a company. I'm looking for a few assistants in the area to do a bit of key holding as well so if anyone is reliable and interested do get in touch.

Many thanks,

Jake - (someone once described me as a "Lewis freak" having a particular enthusiasm for that builders work, hence the name).

revtonynewnham

Hi James

Welcome to the board.  Looking forward to your posts.  The moderators & board owner are here to help if you run into problems, so don't worry too much about getting things wrong - we need more posts!

Every Blessing

Tony

David Pinnegar

Quote from: Lewisfreak on October 17, 2013, 09:07:21 PM
Just wanted to introduce myself. It's been a while since I used web forums so apologies in advance if I make any mistakes or post thing in the wrong place, I usually try and take care to do things the right way. I'm an amateur organist and played for services etc for a few years before becoming a professional organ tuner in the South West (UK) with a fairly busy tuning round, I work for a company. I'm looking for a few assistants in the area to do a bit of key holding as well so if anyone is reliable and interested do get in touch.

Hi!

Welcome

This forum is unlike others. The only rule is basically to be kind . . . and the other is to demonstrate that the organ is worth being enthused about! So you're in the right place. I know a small Lewis organ with nothing above a 4ft and yet is wonderfully bright and a reed that gives it a wonderfully dark brown sound. For 7 ranks or so it's extraordinary.

Please do not be embarrassed to promote your work, your firm and even to write about organs you visit or repair jobs you come across and have to cope with. That's why there's an organ builders' section here. The organ needs builders and people need to appreciate how an experienced builder can make pipe organs affordable in contrast to the limited lifespans of alternatives . . . and in an increasingly grey haired profession, enthusiasm of old hands might encourage younger ones to join you.

Best wishes

David P

Lewisfreak

Thank you for your kind reply. It's interesting you mention the "grey haired", it's worrying thinking about who will carry on this work in the future. Luckily i'm only 24 so a relative new comer to the profession.

Nicolette

I see the last post on this thread was a year and a half ago - so I hope it's still okay to post here!
I'm a mid-life piano-to-organ convert, having converted seriously to the organ nine years ago in 2006, when I started taking lessons.  (I'd been lucky enough to have 4 lessons from the late Ralph Downes ages ago, in response to an emergency request to accompany a choir, but that's another story!)  I absolutely love it - as "the instrument of my life" - and have now become professionally qualified.   I'm now the regular organist at Inverleith St. Serf's in Edinburgh, where we have a lovely 3-manual Rushworth and Dreaper organ that has just been beautifully renovated by Principal Pipe Organs.   
Nicolette Fraser, B. Mus., ARCO

revtonynewnham

Hi Nicollette

Welcome to the forum.

Every Blessing

Tony (one of the moderators - not that I've had a lot to do for a very long time)

pcnd5584

Quote from: revtonynewnham on February 08, 2015, 10:02:22 AM
Hi Nicollette

Welcome to the forum.

Every Blessing

Tony (one of the moderators - not that I've had a lot to do for a very long time)

Welcome, too, from me - another of the moderators.

(Actually, I am quite pleased that there has been little in the way of admonishing to do lately - so much more civilised.)

Sean
(pcnd5584)
Pierre Cochereau rocked, man

Nicolette

Quote from: pcnd5584 on February 08, 2015, 12:34:57 PM
Quote from: revtonynewnham on February 08, 2015, 10:02:22 AM
Hi Nicollette

Welcome to the forum.

Every Blessing

Welcome, too, from me - another of the moderators.

(Actually, I am quite pleased that there has been little in the way of admonishing to do lately - so much more civilised.)

Sean
(pcnd5584)

Thank you!
Nicolette
Nicolette Fraser, B. Mus., ARCO

David Drinkell

Welcome indeed, and may you have many happy years with that fine Rushworth at Inverleith.

David_M

Hello.
I found this site a few months ago and I have enjoyed many hours reading the wealth of information and opinions presented.
I have been a church organist for about 50 years, most recently a 19 year appointment at our local parish church presiding at a beautiful 1860 Father Willis. I retired due to pressure of work and the fact that the new Rector is only interested in modern worship songs and his precious band.
Having recently retired from teaching I have extended my garage and divided it to provide a purpose-built 'man cave'. One half is a garage for my motorcycles, the other for my organs. I have a 1956 Jennings Model A - Serial number A2 (a real toaster - 50+valves) and a 1982 Wyvern 'Canterbury'.
I acquired the Jennings in 1971 and it has seen almost daily use since. All the decoupling capacitors and electrolytics have been replaced but apart from a few key contacts nothing has ever caused problems.
The Wyvern was found on ebay in 2006 and I am still enjoying getting to know it internally as well as externally.
Many thanks to all concerned for such an interesting and wide ranging site.
David Muggleton.

revtonynewnham

Hi David

Welcome to the forum.  Interesting to hear about your Jennings organ.  I used to have one.  The capacitors were a big problem, both in terms of tuning stability, and in failing and putting ht voltage through the keying system - key clicks on steroids!

Sadly, mine was scrapped in the end, I did have endless problems with key contacts, especially on the upper manual.  The contact arms fractured at their pivot point, and I neverr found time to try and find a solution.  Also, we had 4 children at the time in a small house, so it had to go - but I wish I still had it.  My current music room here is the back section of the garage, which my son insulated and lined out, complete with a wall to the front section (storage for mobility scooters and some of my sound gear etc.) and the music room, which currently houses a c.1856 Alexandre Harmonium, a Viscount Envoy 35, Digital piano, Nord C2D and a few other keyboards and loads of music, etc.

Every Blessing

Tony