News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Pollokshaws Burgh hall

Started by barniclecompton, April 03, 2011, 06:11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KB7DQH

Quoteits probably all being switch off as soon as the sound comes through! lol

For me the slow internet connection speed impedes my ability to see "everything" but as I get time
I generally like to have a listen...

There is a video up on Youtube (I saw years ago and don't have the link handy :-[ of the University of Texas, Austin pipe organ, featuring the Music Director and the organ builder... who collaborated some years ago to produce an instrument capable of playing "everything from Bach to the Avant-Garde".
Also mentioned was when the organ was first completed it "was the most dangerous thing on Campus..."  People would be walking into the concert hall, and taken in by the beauty of the casework would trip and fall not paying attention to where the steps were in the flooring ;D

If you look around at some of the posts I have made... I, too, enjoy everything played (well?)...
From "Before Bach" to the "Avant-Garde"... on the Pipe Organ...

If "rock" bands continue their trend of incorporating more and more use of the pipe organ into their repetoire...  Maybe "praise" bands will, too???

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

revtonynewnham

Hi

Some of us have been using organ with what are now called "praise bands" for decades - long before the terminology was invented!  Unfortunately, we're still a minority - there needs to be a lot of education as to what an organ can do in conjunction with other instruments - and also to try and get rid of the attitude that says that organs are old fashioned or otherwise unsuited to modern worship.

Every Blessing

Tony

Colin Pykett

My son runs a recording studio, and a couple of years ago one of his clients wanted a theatre organ as backing to one of the tracks on a pop CD.  They hired a professional theatre organist and used the Compton organ at Gosport.  See this link:

http://www.gosport.info/History/Gosport_Compton_Organ/gosport_compton_organ.html

I was invited along (and played it afterwards!), and was interested to see that they were also using some high quality but 'retro' recording gear (Calrec mikes from the 1970's and an Akai analogue reel to reel tape recorder).  Subsequently they also mixed in a recording of the surf lapping on a nearby beach. 

The result was extremely compelling, and it was a good example of how much care is taken with the production of modern music, even though it might not be to the taste of all those on this forum!  It was particularly interesting that they did not just use any old electronic organ in the comfort of a recording studio, but searched for the real thing and hired somebody who could play it properly.

So, yes, pipe organs still retain a niche in the minds of the general public, otherwise they would not have gone to all this time and expense.

Regards

Colin Pykett