News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

6 octave reed organ on ebay

Started by Colin Pykett, April 19, 2011, 08:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Pykett

An apparently slightly unusual reed organ has just appeared on ebay.  It seems to have 6 octaves, C to C.  Don't know anything else about it, as I am not a reed organ afficionado, and the listing isn't particularly informative.  But 6 octaves strikes me as rather rare (if indeed it is - my eyesight is not really what it should be).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/organ-19th-century-antiquarian-reed-organ-/130510606620?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Keyboard_RL&hash=item1e6309d11c

Regards

Colin Pykett

revtonynewnham

Hi

For some reason (probably transport costs?) 6-octave reed organs are rare in the UK - but I gather are not uncommon in the USA.  Reading between the lines of the description, it seems that this probably needs some work - pumping isn't hard work if the exhausters and reservoir are in good order.  I wond who the maker is - it looks a siezable beast - even with the propensity of reed organ builders to add stop knobs - often a half-draw on each set of reeds to give quieter effectes - plus the normal bass/treble divide.  (One maker actually divides the stops at every octave - loads of knobs to make an impressive show that's not matched by the meagre tonal resources!

Every Blessing

Tony