News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

A methodist instrument to be removed by the end of August

Started by David Pinnegar, June 12, 2011, 11:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Pinnegar

Barry Williams

It seems, from Ebay, that The Reverend David Cooper, the Methodist Organs Adviser, has put many of the pipe ranks of this instrument up for sale as separate items.

Barry Williams

revtonynewnham

Hi

Sound somewhat strange, unless they've already tried and failed to find a buyer.  Certainly the Methodist organ advisor that I know seems to prefer to try and rehouse redundant instruments.

Every Blessing

Tony

Janner

A further five ranks or part ranks of pipes are now on sale, some of them from this organ, (Trent Vale Methodist Church):

VOIX CELESTE RANK 8ft.
OPEN DIAPASON RANK, 8ft (Part rank).
STOPPED DIAPASON RANK, 8ft.
GEMSHORN RANK 4ft.
13 TRUMPET PIPES.

Rather than put all the links on here, it's easier simply to say that putting church organ in an "All Categories" search should bring them up.

Apparently the seller is the Area Methodist Organ Advisor.

As to the logic, is it possible that there are two aspects to this?

1) If all the items go for a minimum of the starting bid, the sale stands to fetch perhaps two or three hundred pounds. That may well be more than would be obtained by advertising the complete instrument as redundant, on a "Please take it away" basis.

2) Is it perhaps easier to sell or give away component parts, e.g. pipes, pedal board, bench, woodwork (good quality and seasoned), than to find a home for a complete instrument?

Is this likely to become a trend?

Barrie Davis

I hope it doesnt become a trend, I know of a firm locally that buys redundant organs and then sells the ranks seperatly, this was the fate of Halesowen PC a large 3 manual R&D replaced by a toaster.
I prefer to see the entire organ resited wherever possible

Barrie

Holditch

I think there is a fine line regarding the decision of splitting an organ up and selling the ranks individually. In one instance you are indeed destroying an instrument, but on the other at least the pipes will be reused in smaller organs or as extensions to existing organs.

I know that the number of redundant organs that don't even manage to get to the splitting up and selling on stage is alarming, they just rot doing nothing. Perhaps selling ranks individually will increase the enthusiasm for DIY/amateur organ building which wouldn't have existed before. Obviously in an ideal world all redundant organs can be saved and reused in good acoustical spaces, but unfortunately this is not the current state of reality.

Best Regards
Marc
Dubois is driving me mad! must practice practice practice