News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Grants

Started by Barrie Davis, February 16, 2011, 12:33:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrie Davis

Does any member know where grants are considered for the restoration of pipeorgans?
My church is basically broke thanks to a large quota, and the organ needs several thousands spending on it. We cannot ask the congregation as this is dwindling in numbers. Some guidance would be appreciated.

Barrie

David Pinnegar

Dear Barrie

The Pilgrim Trust might be worth approaching - http://www.thepilgrimtrust.org.uk/

Have you got a copy of the Charities Handbook?

Presumably you've looked at Lottery funding?

Best wishes

David P

revtonynewnham

Hi

There's info on potential sources of grants on the BIOS web site - http://www.bios.org.uk/biosgran9.pdf

The other possibility is to look for trusts in your area that only support projects in the area - and even better if you can show some benefit to the community rather than just the church (maybe think of some educational visits to the instrument or something similar once it's restored) - even the local authority might be worth asking - we got a grant here for new chairs for the church building last year.  Is there a landfill site in the area - there's sometimes grants available from the taxation on them - Nuclear Power station - Bradwell used to support a lot of local charities in that area of Essex.  Local supermarkets, big firms?  It's  LOT of leg work though.

You might be surprised what the congregation can come up with (and with many sources of funding these days, it's often match funding of what you raise from other sources).  Does the church have any reserves that aren't spoken for?  When we had our organ restored, we funded about 1/2 the £10,000 from the church's legacies fund and the remainder - over a couple of years - by a couple of fundraising efforts and donations, including 2 substantial ones from church members.

Every Blessing

Tony

Barrie Davis

Hi

Thank you for your replies and help.

We tried the Lottery with no luck to help fund the roof when the lead was stolen, I will look at BIOS and thanks for suggesting the Pilgrims Trust who I had never heard of. I am obtaining a copy of the Charities Handbook.

We did have legacies but for some mysterious reason these were swallowed up by the powers that be at Worcester several years ago.

This could not have happened at a worse time as the church is struggling to have the roof repaired, the insurance company will not pay out for some reason best known to themselves. The building needs rewiring and the list goes on.

The organ would not have caused problems if the heating had not been turned up to the degree it was!!!! Too late now!

Best wishes

Barrie

jesmar32

I wish that I could do something for church,I can just wish and pray to god.

David Pinnegar

Dear Barrie

How are things going on this front?

I hope that with the Zurich Symposium coming up, at which John Mander is speaking, the need for organs will be given a higher profile and I note something on the site some sort of discussion about recognition by UNESCO . . .

What's your progress here?

Best wishes,

David P