News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Historic Organ Conservation Book ?

Started by dragonser, April 23, 2010, 10:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonser

Hi,
as a newbie to Pipe Organs I have seen the following book
Historic Organ Conservation by Council for the Care of Churches; Dominic Gwynn
I just wondered what everyone's opinion of it was ?

NonPlayingAnorak

Dominic Gwynn is as good as the fifth Gospel-maker. If it's his, it's Gospel truth. He's forgotten more about the conservation of ancient organs than most of us will ever know.

organforumadmin

Quote from: NonPlayingAnorak on May 05, 2010, 12:50:55 AM
Dominic Gwynn is as good as the fifth Gospel-maker. If it's his, it's Gospel truth. He's forgotten more about the conservation of ancient organs than most of us will ever know.

Hi!

This post leaves me a little confused, such as when a friend of my wife's who is always doing this sort of thing referred to "I remember in the far distant future . . . "

Um.

!!!

Best wishes

Forum Admin

KB7DQH

Confuzzed? I fingered it out ;D

On the surface it doesn't seem to make sense but then I have observed that expression used here in the 'States countless times.   Generally when referring to an older individual whose knowledge and skill in a particular discipline exceeds that of anyone who currently follows in their footsteps...

As the "division of labor" becomes more apparent this concept of someone who has "forgotten more about 'x' than I'll ever know" may be occurring more frequently in certain disciplines as time marches on and the "body of knowledge", lifespans and dementia generally becomes greater in the following centuries.
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."