News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

The Certainty of Place

Started by Principal, June 28, 2011, 11:41:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Principal

Greetings.

One is always in relation to others and to circumstances. One is governed by a network of relationships and events, often seemingly random or unpredictable, and life is considerably helped if before one there is a map and guidance as to which path to take. Without such a map or guidance, one's destination can be random and the journey tortuous.

This morning I took a flight and had arrived at Terminal 2. Whilst waiting for the bus I was approached by three luscious ladies with lots of luggage. In an accent from the other side of the world they asked me in a land where only Heavenlish is spoken whether I spoke Earthlish. The machine in the terminal which was supposed to be able to tell them where to go or with which to book a hotel was not working and they were in a foreign land. They asked me how to get to Heaven but as they told me that the taxi fare to get there was too expensive, I guessed that they might not have enough money to stay in Heaven, mainly known for its role as a Tax Haven, especially as I subsequently learned that the Crown Prince is to be married there on Saturday. Accordingly I told them to go to Purgatory from where they could take the train into Heaven every day if they wanted and to get there I told them to get the Navette Gratuite to Terminal 1 from where they could get the bus to the Gare.

A few minutes later I was dismayed to see a bus for the Gare leaving from Terminal 2. I felt guilty that I'd sent them on a long circuitous path to Heaven so I ran, with my luggage too, to the Navette Gratuite upon which they were but which had not left yet to point out the immediately available bus.

"No matter", they said, "we'll get better tourist information from Terminal 1" . . .

So many people expect to come to a foreign land without a guidebook, without the language, without a phrase book, without having looked at the instructions nor the map.

It is the duty of those with the knowledge to guide those on the path and at least point to a better guide if available along the way.

Those who guide have to know the certainty of the place and all on the path need to know where their lives are positioned on the map. Churches and organs are landmarks on our way.

Best wishes,

Four Foot

Four Foot fills in the harmomics that the Diapason Stopped cannot sound

Principal

Hi!

Moderators of this forum inform me that some people don't like the forum for the reason that Atheist's Corner is perceived to be preaching. One might hope that a read of the corpus of posts here reveals something deeper, at least a deeper questioning so that perhaps better alignments might be achieved. After all, a quotation comes to mind that a life without questioning is no life at all . . .

Sometimes the first time one sees a mirror one sees nothing at all, if all there is is wall:
Many who are disillusioned look and see nothing at all.

Looking further one might see something more, perhaps only another mirror and more wall:
but it's only at the point where one is fortunate enough to be in the right place that one sees the light and not much else at all
and the mirror has almost disappeared on account of the light.

It's all in the Power of Place, and churches and organs are landmarks within that.

No doubt someone might make the  :D observation that churches are the Place and, would we all agree, that organs are the Power . . .  ;)

Best wishes,

Four Foot
Four Foot fills in the harmomics that the Diapason Stopped cannot sound

organforumadmin

Interesting too that the distorted ovals become perfect circles when in proper line . . .

revtonynewnham

Hi

I'm probably the one guilty of preaching - but that's not surprising, since it's what I do!  The sermon, in "traditional" free churches, is seen as the most important part of the service - although thankfully there's a move - in some places at least - towards recognising the importance of other aspects of worship, and especially communion.

Every Blessing

Tony

David Pinnegar

Dear Tony

Perhaps any of us here commenting on the nature of how we perceive the world to work can be accused . . . - but in the nature of having informed discussions it's so very important for all to be included and to bring forward elements of their experience and knowledge . . .

It's for this reason that the preamble to this part of the forum hopefully reads better now:
QuoteOrgans tend to be in religious places . . . and so atheists tend not to like organs at all . . . and after all it's quite appropriate to reject the idea of god as a big daddy sitting on a cloud. Sadly many people never get beyond that rejection . . . so this section is to see how a bigger view might be achieved, perhaps so that people don't feel they have to be excluded and so more may be happier coming in to hear or play organs.
and perhaps this is now more appropriately sympathetic, possibly interesting, wider, and of particular interest to organs and their future.

It's apparent to through the development of postings here that there might possibly be a vision deeper than those blockages that perhaps atheists see in finding faith and cause the rejection that atheism implies, and being deeper than the literal superficiality that sometimes one sees in the descriptions of some very hard to grapple with concepts.

Perhaps the section might be more useful or appropriately named "Heretics' Corner"? In the context of the spirit of overcoming the difficulties that people have in discovering the Organ, how might this section be best titled and described to enable us to see not merely wall in the mirror nor confusion of other mirrors but actually the light that they intended there to reflect?

Can this discussion area thereby be seen as a place of discussion and philosophy rather than in the negative context which has been drawn to our attention?

However, in doing so, we should not draw away from our passion for the organ and all of those purposes that the organ serves: if the organ has no meaning nor conveys any revelations, then there is hardly a point towards holding any cause for enthusiasm.

Best wishes

David P