News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Getting a new project

Started by diapason, July 05, 2011, 10:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diapason

An organbuilder friend is clearing out his workshop and has offered me a two-rank, one manual & pedal pipe organ.  It was originally a 'Priory' organ by Geo Osmond of Taunton, dating from the 70's.  As it originally came from a crematorium in Devon, it probably accompanied the funerals of several of my relations.  The pipework has been re-used in other organs, but it would probably have been too loud for my flat.  So, I'll be looking out for a small scale metal stopped diapason and a gemshorn or salicional rank, on about 2.3/4" wg.  I'll know more when I get down to pick it up later this month. I'll then be working out how to reassemble it.  The stopped diapason rank was enclosed, but I may decide to enclose it all for the benefit of the neighbours  :-[  So, the toaster will be for sale to make space.  I'll probably be picking your brains as I work out how to get it playing again.

Nigel

revtonynewnham

Hi

I came across one of these (or at leats I guess that's what it was) in Sussex - that had at least the trebles in a Swell box.  See http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=E00053

It was a nice little instrument - but as you say, perhaps a bit too loud for a small flat (It would have been OK in my current house - to me anyway, Sue might have thought differently!).

Good luck with it.  And please let NPOR have details as soon as you start work on it.

Every Blessing

Tony

revtonynewnham

Hi

The electronics is a Viscount expander module as far as I can see by enlarging the picture. 

Every Blessing

Tony

diapason

Many thanks, Tony,

Yes, the organ I'm getting is the same as the one you found on NPOR.  Osmonds made a number of these.  Some were one manual, two ranks - with or wwithout pedal , and the others two manual & pedal with 4 ranks.  I know that Brian Verrier - later of Deane Organs - was involved with the design and installation of many of them.  I know of four locally, one in our parish at Allerford.  I'm going over to play that one again today and take a closer look at how it's put together.

I'll let NPOR know when I get it installed.  It wasn't registered in it's original home, Barnstaple Crematorium.

Nigel

revtonynewnham

Hi

One of the organs that I learned to play on was an Osmond extension job - http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=N08479

I don't know if it was a standard tonal scheme - but it was installed on a platform in the back corner of the church (the area underneath then formed a choir vestry) with the console at the East End of the Nave.  Despite it not being a very large building, the lag on the action put me off detached consoles for life.  I much preferred the previous organ - which I had my first few lessons on.  Not as versatile, but much more pleasant to play.

Every Blessing

Tony

diapason

This looks like a similar, but slightly larger organ.  Osmonds built a number of extension organs in the late 60's and 70's, mainly aimed at the market which otherwise might have bought a toaster. I've spent several hours today going through and playing an organ very similar to the one which I'm buying.  Despite it's limitations on paper, it was very satisfying for practice.  I'm going to go for two ranks much more evenly balanced in volume than the standad specification.  I've also found that I'll need to conveyance the larger bass pipes which are currently standing on the rackboard down to floor level, and also find ranks with the lowest notes mitred.  I'm limited by a ceiling height of 89".

Anyway, I've emailed the seller to confirm that I'm buying the organ and hope to collect it later this month.  Johannus 2-manual and pedal Opus 320 toaster for sale!

Nigel