News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Fractious posts scheduled for deletion

Started by barniclecompton, July 23, 2011, 05:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barniclecompton

How many people have heard of it, besides organ die hards and people local to the area though. Few in comparison to instrument which ive mentioned.

[This post might have been phrased more diplomatically and the extent of testosterone which has resulted from it demonstrates the point. The original post commencing "i can think of is the Wurlitzer Organ at the Tower Ballroom in Blackpool" demonstrates poor attention to the thought process demonstrated by basic linguistic style and, in the organic nature of forum discussions, has been seen by other members in the light of a subject area battered to death on another thread, members having the distinct impression that the writer might have honestly said "i can think only of  . . .".

The fractious posts that follow(ed) here developed from that poor karma.

It is apparent that posts made by people during times that they might usefully be sleeping are not always the best conceived nor introduced. Accordingly the intervening posts in this thread will / have been deleted allowing the thread to restart with a questioning of what we mean by "inspirational" and a few suggestions of instruments and links from which possibly further suggestions might emerge.
Forum Admin]

pcnd5584

Quote from: Voix Cynique on July 23, 2011, 06:05:21 PM
Rubbish. I'm sorry, but for sheer musicality and expressive power, St Ouen knocks the socks off any Wurlitzer, fine as it may be. Also, a lot of people (me for one) cannot stand the Blackpool Style of theatre organ playing...

I would have to say that I have a great deal in common with the spirit of this post. However, please try to keep this discussion courteous and considerate at all times.

It is still worth remembering that what one likes is not necessarily the only - or even the best - view.
Pierre Cochereau rocked, man

David Pinnegar

Quote from: barniclecompton on July 23, 2011, 04:51:06 PM
i can think of is the Wurlitzer Organ at the Tower Ballroom in Blackpool. Its been having people in large numbers hooked on organ music for over 70 years. The amount of organists who have started off learning after hearing the Wurlitzer at the Tower is countless! For the millions of people who have heard and it and danced to it over the years, it has gained a massive amount of fans for the organ, world wide. It has to be, to this day, the most recorded single instrument in the world.

Hi!

There are elements of this with which one can totally understand and agree, but we are repeating here a game of ping pong played out on another thread which actually another poster on another  thread was deliberately and valiantly, if I may say, trying to avoid.

After doing guided tours today I found a couple on the drive and upon them uttering a magic password, I let them in. We discussed numerous things starting off from musical temperament and finally listening to Mahler 4.

The man works with "Emotional Release" in the body by tapping on acupuncture points.

He remarked to me in the course of discussion that in order to be a _whole_ human being, one has to examine one's darkest corners and deepest depths. He says that the brain is divided into two sections, a primitive brain and the outer brain, the primitive brain providing the substrate for outer thought. The inner brain therefore has to be appropriately settled for the outer brain to work fully.

The relevance of this is that whilst Blackpool ballroom provides thousands with fairly instantaneous pleasure, it is working on the brain in a rather superficial level. Thus we see the relevance of the organist on the other thread who measured success if his performer drove just one person to cry. The organ in its more mainstream form has that power of eternity, of being, of being able to access depths.

On account of duplication with other threads, forum Moderators might possibly look to see if we can collapse some of this thread so that it reads more authoritatively usefully in six months time. Bantering and questioning is very valuable in a mutual learning process but can make very turgid reading to third parties or even ourselves in the future . . .

Best wishes

David P

organforumadmin

Quote from: comptonplus on July 24, 2011, 11:53:09 AM
My views as to why it is inspirational to me have been removed. I gave argument and proof for our Barnicle friend, even to going through company archives. I also gave CORRECT information to aqrgue a point, which was also removed. No point typing anything here if that is what happens, Again, I ask, can my account be removed?

The matter had become particularly fractious. We are most grateful to you for your contributions which have appropriately been put in the Blackpool Tower and Empress Ballroom thread, to which the original post now refers with the appropriate link. We hope that the editorial efforts of Moderators and Admins are appreciated in assisting with keeping threads on track, relevant, capable of spawning further exchanges of views and laying down a corpus of learning and experience that will be of inspiration to future enthusiasms.

Best wishes

Forum Admin