News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Practice Organ Parts - needed

Started by wjoefox, August 02, 2011, 02:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wjoefox

Hi,

I've been thinking about a house pipe organ for practice for some time now, and it seems that the best thing for me to do is to construct one with the help of my local organ builder, avoiding excessive costs by doing some of the work myself. Sadly, the weight of many complete redundant instruments (and the height), make saving a complete instrument difficult. I've found some good quality Conacher pipe work to make something similar to the JW Walker Practice Organ (an example is on their website), with two manuals, pedals, and a simple 8' 4' 2' arrangement.
So, I'm trying to source parts from redundant organs, and just work with the organ builder on the actual construction of it. I'm trying to find a pair of redundant organ manuals, a pedalboard, and a blower. This is difficult, though! Does anyone here have any of these parts, or know of anyone who does? I'm loathed to buy new!

Thanks,
wjoefox

diapason

There are often parts on Ebay.  Fairly recently someone was trying (unsuccessfully) to sell a Walker practice organ for £8000 on Ebay.  I think I saw a link to it on the forum.  It might be worth teying to contact the seller and make an offer.

Nigel

Holditch

Are you planning on building a direct/pneumatic electric organ or tracker ?

I have a couple of manuals (circa 1900) suitable for tracker, or if you wanted to try and fit contacts and springs they may be suitable for an electric setup. I bought these with the intention of starting my second pipe organ project but realistically the first hasn't been completed yet ;D

If you are interested I can probably send some photos

Marc
Dubois is driving me mad! must practice practice practice

David Pinnegar

Quote from: wjoefox on August 02, 2011, 02:05:40 PMI'm trying to find a pair of redundant organ manuals, a pedalboard, and a blower. This is difficult, though! Does anyone here have any of these parts, or know of anyone who does? I'm loathed to buy new!

Hi!

I gave a pair of tracker manuals to Jonathan Lane . . . and an electric one too . . .

Best wishes

David P

wjoefox

Thank you for the responses...
@diapason: thanks for the suggestion and details. I'd have loved the Walker (though for something less than £8000!), sadly it has been sold, but I think outside of eBay. Thankfully, it has served as inspiration, and a basis on which to build my own. I've also contacted Walkers, and they don't know of any for sale at the moment.
@Holditch: the organ must be tracker, but what you suggest sounds about right, please do send me some photos via PM if you like, and the price would also be good!
@David: will follow up with J Lane. Thanks.

revtonynewnham

Hi

I have a blower if you can collect from Bradford.  It came from a 3-stop job, but it looks rather bigger than would have been strictly needed - should do at least 5-6 stops.  I'm unlikely to get round to my project that will need it for several years, and it's just sitting in the garage.

Every Blessing

Tony

wjoefox

Hi Tony. Thanks for your very kind offer. If the project goes ahead, I will certainly be in touch. Do you have any idea of the dimensions, and the asking price you might put to it?

Jonathan Lane

Quote from: David Pinnegar on August 02, 2011, 06:29:11 PM
Quote from: wjoefox on August 02, 2011, 02:05:40 PMI'm trying to find a pair of redundant organ manuals, a pedalboard, and a blower. This is difficult, though! Does anyone here have any of these parts, or know of anyone who does? I'm loathed to buy new!

Hi!

I gave a pair of tracker manuals to Jonathan Lane . . . and an electric one too . . .

Best wishes

David P

Hi David,

We indeed do, and I haven't forgotten the donation!  While we're on the subject, are you still looking for an electric action pedalboard.  We have one which I would be happy to pass on to you (as the donation), which I suspect came from a good quality electronic.  If not, it is available wjoefox.

Jonathan

Jonathan Lane

Just a further note on this thread, mainly to do with design and specification of a suitable practice organ.  Barry Williams and I had a discussion a while ago about the best disposition for a two manual and pedal practice organ, some parts of which would be very relevant here.

Firstly, definitely go for electric action, because three or four ranks can turn into a very successful unenclosed organ of two manuals and pedals.  Barry's advice on a Pedal Bourdon is to use a manual 16' Bourdon as found in many Victorian Swell Organs.  The scale is usually much smaller, thus making it suitable for a house organ.  I agree totally with this, as the last thing you need in a house is a large scale Bourdon as found in many a Victorian Pedal Organ.

The principal is of course very simple, provided you don't use an individual rank an adjacent pitches, i.e. 8' and 4', or 4' and 2', the missing notes in the chorus effect is not a major issue.  Also, be careful of two much upperwork, a house organ doesn't need a Mixture or high pitched mutations.  Further to this, be careful with mutations taken from unison ranks, as the tuning will be wrong even if the voicing is acceptable.

Apologies if I'm preaching to the converted (this isn't really aimed at wjoefox, rather anyone else who might benefit from the knowledge and experience of people such as Barry.

Jonathan

wjoefox

Quote from: Jonathan Lane on August 02, 2011, 08:57:43 PM
Firstly, definitely go for electric action, because three or four ranks can turn into a very successful unenclosed organ of two manuals and pedals. 
I'm afraid tracker is my preference - the condition of my having a practice organ is that it must be tracker action, similar to the Walker instruments, but I certainly agree with Jonathan's view about getting a more diverse instrument via electric action, for anyone else who doesn't have his/her heart set on tracker action! I've looked and played a few extension organs, and I've not been that keen. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
I'm delighted with how many people are giving their suggestions to help me, it makes it seem a more likely idea all the time!

Jonathan Lane

To be honest until July I would have held out for a tracker action instrument, and whilst this is still an ideal provided I had space for a suitable specification, I changed my view once I played and EP organ by Mascioni in Istanbul last month.  The organ, in the catholic church of St Anthony of Padua was built in 1947 and is a large three manual at the west end on a fairly high gallery.  The action, which is original I believe, was the most responsive I have ever played.  I played the Widor Toccata after the wedding (my brother in law's) and it was the first time I have been able to realise Widor's articulation absolutely.  So, I would now go for electric or even electropneumatic action!

Jonathan

David Pinnegar

Dear Jonathan

Electric pedalboard! Wow! Lovely idea - but wjoefox must have first call on it depending if he goes for electric or tracker. If tracker then I have the Staplehurst Convent tracker pedalboard which was the only part of the instrument I was able to rescue from the bulldozers . . . to which you are welcome.

I have been awaiting pedalboard electrification with which to build a portable instrument, possibly for concerts outside and have four Ahlborn units awaiting for the project. Ideally I'd like to find an Ahlborn 202 in addition or substitution of one of the others.

Were you to go for electric action, it would not be difficult to use a transistorised scheme with double outputs to supply a Midi output or indeed use midi output from manuals to midi to solenoid decoders. Members of EOCS design these sorts of circuits and they can do away with complex wiring looms. Member Trevor Hawkins is especially expert and designs many such circuits for pipe organ builders.

You could, of course, go for tracker but incorporate a puff-box to take an electric output. You could add pull-down solenoids so that your basic instrument was tracker but electrics could act at different pitches . . . or add electronically with Midi.

If you are set on Tracker, then were Jonathan to give me the electric pedalboard, you'd be welcome to my tracker pedalboard, although it looks as though there will be a lot of redundant instruments going begging.

Best wishes

David P

revtonynewnham

Hi

Various comments on recent posts:-

1.  Blower - from memory it's in a soundproof box about a 2ft 6in cube - it's buried at the back of my garage, and so is not easily accessible until I can find some free time (not today - Sunday's service needs finishing).  I've no idea on price - a donation or swap would be fine - it's only cost me fuel to transport it first from the church that I salvaged the organ from, and then from Essex to here.

2. Action - I'll be going to electric - unless another, but this time useable, tracker job comes along for free or little more!  I've yet to play a non-tracker action that I've been totally happy with - but I'm also a realist - there's no way I've got enough space for a workshop, so building tracker parts just isn't feasible - and I'll probably go the extension route with electric action.
http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=E01317 is an interesting small extension job (a late Grant, Deagans and Bradbeer) which avoids the adjacent-octave extension except on the pedal.  Surprisingly effective for a small practice organ (yes - I have played it).

3. Pedalboards - Ron Coates (Classic Organs) in Boxhill sells MIDI-fitted pedalboards (I think these are recycled from various "dead" organs.

Every Blessing

Tony

Jonathan Lane

Quote from: David Pinnegar on August 02, 2011, 10:49:06 PM
Dear Jonathan

Electric pedalboard! Wow! Lovely idea - but wjoefox must have first call on it depending if he goes for electric or tracker. If tracker then I have the Staplehurst Convent tracker pedalboard which was the only part of the instrument I was able to rescue from the bulldozers . . . to which you are welcome.

Hi David,

I had already earmarked this for you, so you get first call, we have about half a dozen tracker pedalboards of different sizes, so I can accommodate wjoefox as well!

Jonathan

wjoefox

Many thanks to you all for your suggestions.
There is plenty of time for me to plan a good specification with good quality pipework. There are, however, various boundaries which I must work within.
I mentioned in my original post that I would like this arrangement (still tracker!):
GREAT: 8' (always on), 2'
SWELL: 8' (always on), 4'

Ideally I would like all of the salvaged pipework to be from one builder alone. However, this doesn't seem to be possible. I have two options here:
1) Conacher - Lieblich Gedeckt 8' (on Gt in a big 3 manual Conacher, so possibly too big), Gemshorn 4' (advice please - no other Conacher 4' rank available), Piccolo 2'
2) Norman & Beard - Rohr Flute 8' (I like RFs!), Principal 4', Conacher - Piccolo 2' (no other N&B 2' available)

...I'm rather nervous about option 1 - it's by the better pipework builder (in my opinion), but the 8' could be too loud, and the Gemshorn is a different choice (but the only option). Option 2 has a mix of builders, but a more standard specification, and possibly less loud.

Just two last questions: can a big Victorian 8' Gt flute be voiced for a house organ? Secondly, is the gemshorn a sensible choice - if it is, I'll go for option 1? Lastly, do you rate Conacher pipework above Norman & Beard?

Thank you!

Holditch

You could go for option 1 and put it behind shutters in case you find it rather vocal. My 8ft Clarabella rank from a N&L organ is pretty loud but just about acceptable in a small space.

The Gemshorn will probably be too loud. I find my dulciana rank quite acceptable in a house especially considering alot of people dismiss this rank when used in a large space; a possible quieter alternative to the Gemshorn even though this might sound a bit daft?

Cheers
Marc
Dubois is driving me mad! must practice practice practice

wjoefox

I hope that I have found a satisfactory solution overnight!
The organbuilder who would supply me with pipework is taking delivery of some more organs for use as parts. I've asked him to save me 8' 4' 2' flute ranks from an organ of my choice, and it's likely that I will choose Swell, or even better, Choir pipework to conquer the loudness issue.
I'll be back for suggestions on the specification after I've found out where these pipes are coming from, but until then, would I be more sensible putting a metal or wooden (diapason/flute?) 2' in the mix with a wooden 8' and 4'?

Thanks,
wjoefox