News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Polar plot of a organ pipe

Started by Holditch, August 13, 2011, 09:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holditch

Does anyone have a polar plot of an organ pipe?

I wonder if anyone has done such a thing?

Many thanks
Marc
Dubois is driving me mad! must practice practice practice

David Pinnegar

Dear Marc

A very interesting issue - a polar plot in which plane, vertical or horizontal? And a singular pipe in its forest of other pipes or a collection of pipes together?

One of the standard problems for physicists studying x-ray crystallography is determining solutions to the Bragg equation. A set problem in this regard is to suggest that an estate owner who doesn't want to hear the church bells of his local church plants a wood - and to determine the necessary spacing between the trees and the angle of orientation to plant them at.

The interesting thing about pipe organs is that on account of the diminishing diameters of the pipes proportional to their lengths, the spacing of the pipes is regularly irregular rather more randomising diffraction angles of the sound as it emerges from the instrument.

In the vertical plane, it's interesting to see the photographs of the Makin speakers at Lancaster Priory (Electronic Instruments thread), open baffle and angled at 45 degrees presumably to give some feeling of the spaciousness of the length of pipes with sound emitting at both ends.

It would be great if Colin Pykett might possibly find the time to contribute to the forum - perhaps could you ask him? It's worth looking at his site as he may have documented this.

Best wishes

David P

Holditch

Hi David

A polar plot in both vertical and horizontal planes would be very interesting to see, and I suppose for starters just for a single pipe.

I might send Colin Pykett and email to see if he has any further information

Best Regards
Marc
Dubois is driving me mad! must practice practice practice