News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Organs of Edinburgh

Started by KB7DQH, August 14, 2011, 07:51:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KB7DQH

http://www.edinburghguide.com/reviews/music/classical/bookrevieworgansofedinburgh-8623

Yes, it is a book, but comes with CD's...

QuoteEdinburghGuide » Reviews » Classical
Book Review: Organs of Edinburgh

By Barnaby Miln - Posted on 03 August 2011

Organs of Edinburgh

Production:
Delphianrecords.co.uk

As the Festival Season begins it is sometimes easy to forget just how dependent Edinburgh is on its many fine churches and concert halls. They are home to a rich variety of pipe organs, each made by a different organ builder and most, with a few exceptions, no more than one hundred and fifty years old. Some were built and have stayed put, others have moved to their current building.

Last year The Edinburgh Society of Organ Builders with the help of Delphian Records produced a large and lavish book, full of historical details and large colour photographs, of 22 of the most notable of Edinburgh's organs. The book is large. It measures 30cm by 27cm and weighs 1.2 kg.

Twelve of Edinburgh's well known organ players have, between them, produced four CDs of music played on the organs, and these CDs are tucked into the front cover of the book. Sit and listen and one realises just how different each organ sounds. It is quite fascinating.

They have produced only 2,000 copies and each costs £44.49 including post and packing direct from Delphian Records. You may be able to buy a copy at recitals during the Festival Season. This book simply has to be the latest coffee table adornment for organ enthusiasts and regular visitors to Edinburgh churches and concert halls.

Book price: £44.49 incl. p&p

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

flared_ophicleide

I picked up a copy of this last Christmas in NY.  This is where I discovered the Brindley & Foster at the Freemasons' Hall.  I could listen to this organ for hours.  Top-notch organbuilder they were.  This led me to buy Simon Nieminski's CD of it.
The awesome acoustics in McEwan Hall were captured by Delphian.  Picked up Priory's Victorian Organ Music done on this organ.

Great album this is, expect for the way the CDs were tucked into those very tight slits.  I thought for sure they would get scratched, so I put the CDs in sleeves.  The book is great for an organ crawl guide (perhaps that was one of the objectives?).