News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Redundant chamber organ needs new home ideal for house

Started by David Pinnegar, August 16, 2011, 11:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Pinnegar

Hi!

In searching for Gaham Jones I found the following details:
http://www.saughallmeth.org.uk/Redundant%20Pipe%20Organ%20-%20Unk%20%20c1850%20-%20Saughall%20-%20M0083.pdf

It's an 1850s chamber organ, ideal for a house.

Whilst having an electric blower, if the foot pump works, foot pumped organs are really interesting as they give the player a control over expression. They have to be fed with wind rather than pumped, a technique a little like the bagpipes and they can give a brilliant insight into earlier music and much enjoyment in exploration.

The reason why I have put this instrument into Questions of Temperament is that I referred on the Giorgio Questa thread to temperament issues and the early days of BIOS drawing attention to organs just like this one, mainly unslidered, being able to give us information and evidence about temperament.

No doubt this one has been butchered into equal temperament - but one can but hope . . . Just perhaps . . .

In any event this instrument is a gem.

Best wishes

David P

wjoefox

When I was searching after a chamber organ for a nearby rural Church, I found this one. It looks charming.
I enquired as to its availability, but it had been taken - good news! I think it was to be moved to a church, but I cannot remember where.

wjoefox