News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Organists and their cars...

Started by NonPlayingAnorak, May 15, 2010, 03:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NonPlayingAnorak

I have noticed down the years that the vast majority of organists I have encountered have been BMW owners... can any members of this forum reveal what they drive, to either confirm or rubbish my theory?

organforumadmin

Hi!

Sorry to disprove the theory - Unimog and VolksWagen estate car for transporting harpsichords for me

Best wishes

Forum Admin

NonPlayingAnorak

Quote from: organforumadmin on May 16, 2010, 12:01:43 AM
Hi!

Sorry to disprove the theory - Unimog and VolksWagen estate car for transporting harpsichords for me

Best wishes

Forum Admin

What particular VW estate? And why on earth would you need a Unimog?

organforumadmin

Quote from: NonPlayingAnorak on May 16, 2010, 05:01:01 PM

Hi!

An ancient VW ex my father-in law - but it's not large enough to transport organs. Unimog - one with crane and a digger, one with a cherry picker and the other with a tipping back . . . and a 12ft mower on the three point linkage.

What is more interesting is the number of organists who drive high speed trains or fly aircraft.

Best wishes

Forum Admin

revtonynewnham

Hi

Sorry - no trains or aircraft (although I am interested in trains, and it's very convenient that the Bradford Railway Circle meet in my church).  Vehicle wise, at present, a VW Passat diesel estate. (2 1/2 years old, on a leasing deal that makes it affordable), and a Kia Picanto as a local runabout.

Every Blessing

Tony

NonPlayingAnorak

Quote from: organforumadmin on May 16, 2010, 08:28:23 PM
Quote from: NonPlayingAnorak on May 16, 2010, 05:01:01 PM

Hi!

An ancient VW ex my father-in law - but it's not large enough to transport organs. Unimog - one with crane and a digger, one with a cherry picker and the other with a tipping back . . . and a 12ft mower on the three point linkage.

What is more interesting is the number of organists who drive high speed trains or fly aircraft.

Best wishes

Forum Admin

THREE Unimogs? Yes, I believe David Briggs is a pilot, among others...

KB7DQH

The crane/digger combo sounds like something the US Army has amongst their combat engineers...
they refer to it as a "small-emplacement excavator"... a Unimog with a small front loader bucket which lifts over the cab and dumps into the bed behind, some equipped with a "knuckle boom crane" that folds up and tucks away between the cab and bed.

Being a former US Navy Seabee Equipment Operator I actually know my way around a variety of ground-engaging and material-handling devices ;) and transport vehicles ;D  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaAX4WQZHTM  is but an example.  The one I drove for a week at Subic Bay Naval Station actually had air conditioning that required a separate engine to drive the compressor...  My portable amateur radio setup is installed in the one linked to above... purchased surplus six years ago.  Identical in every respect except no air conditioning :o but otherwise equipped for cold weather rather than tropical operation.    If I reconfigure my "multi-use"
space in the rear I could actually accommodate an organ but would sacrifice space that could be used to haul stuff, unless I went with a Hauptwerk-based virtual... I could feed the audio directly into the Hi-Fi amplifier/speaker setup that's already there 8)  the manuals and pedalboard if so equipped folded away so as to make room for whatever else needs to occupy the space.

I imagine the students at the organ recital I just attended at Pacific Lutheran University, if driving "the ultimate driving machine" are driving used examples unless they have financial resources far exceeding that of the typical college student...

As far as "high-speed" rail vehicles I did in fact add flanged wheels and an outrigger to a bicycle enabling it to be ridden on railroad tracks ;) 25 years ago...

Interesting topic nonetheless...
Eric
KB7DQH

The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."