News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

The Dom Bedos project in Italy

Started by organforumadmin, March 26, 2010, 11:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

organforumadmin

Hi!

Why devote a corner of an organ forum to Dom Bedos? The reality is that this 18th century monk set the foundations of organ building, from which modern instruments have departed significantly. With declining exposure to organs, these instruments have not grabbed the attention of the population that they once did. Possibly the answer is to find something new and going back to the source of our art, back to fundamentals brings startling new sounds to our ears.

We have all heard the Bach D minor countless times, but when I heard it played by Pierre Bardon at St Maximin, both performer and instrument brought it new vigour
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSf7-4t_SWc
and luckily I had recorder and camera to capture the moment.

These organs surviving and restored in the spirit of Dom Bedos are truly the Kings of instruments and their study can lead, perhaps, to that excitement that the organ once more generally inspired.

There's a new organ which has been built to the Dom Bedos idiom:
http://www.organosandomenicorieti.it/dombedos2.htm
and its inauguration is 16th -20th April at Reiti, 80km north of Rome.

J'espere peut etre que Christian Colard dirait en plus . . . .

Best wishes

Forum Admin

ftigli

Hi to everyone! I'm the Dom Bedos Rieti organ "conservateur" and.. for the inauguration.. the director of the festival , too..
we invite everyone to visit our web site (sorry for my coarse english, write me freely)
www.organosandomenicorieti.it

And we are waiting for you in Rieti 16-20 april main inauguration , 25 august, Handel Organ concertos (orchestra and organ) and many many other happening are in progress ... ::)

Phil

organforumadmin

Quote from: ftigli on April 08, 2010, 02:47:32 PM
    Hi to everyone! I'm the Dom Bedos Rieti organ "conservateur" and.. for   the inauguration.. the director of the festival , too..
    we invite everyone to visit our web site (sorry for my coarse english,   write me freely)
    www.organosandomenicorieti.it

And we are waiting for you in Rieti 16-20 april main inauguration , 25   august, Handel Organ concertos (orchestra and organ) and many many other   happening are in progress ... ::)

Phil

Dear Phil

WELCOME! I hope that you'll keep us informed here about what you're doing. It would also be really great if you might be able to tell us more about why your church went for a Dom Bedos design, what is special about this style of organ and organ building and repertoire, your experiences of playing later repertoire on the instrument (apparently Liszt Ad Nos or B.A.C.H was attempted with success at St Maximin), something about the special excitement of the sound too, and we'd welcome Formentelli explaining more technical aspects too, whether in English, French or Italian. The world does not have to be exclusively Anglophone! (Although it helps!)

Certainly going to concerts at St Maximin on a Sunday in the Summer is possible with cheap flights from Gatwick Airport to Nice and then hiring a car for the 1 1/2 hour journey for the 5pm recital leaving enough time to get back to Nice for 8pm checkin. I imagine that it would not be difficult to do the same to Rome for Rieti also . . . and from my experience at St Maximin last year, such efforts will be well rewarded by your organ . . .

Best wishes

Forum Admin

ftigli

Hi! Thank you for your welcome.
We started this project as and idea, to join a "Art du Facteur d'Orgue" III-IV project and the Buffet of Grand Organ from Andreas Roubo "Art du Menuissier-Carrossier".
So , the idea to rebuild an ancient organ but never buillted have a great success on our autorities, that decide to sponsor us.
So, the project starts and we now have a great organ from the ancient centuries..
About music, Marc pinardel plays "Summertime" with a singer the other year  .. ;-)
The sound is impressive and it is really a organ fest, with 17 stops reeds and Bombarde 16 to III manual plus Bombarde 16 to pedal ...  ::)

organforumadmin

Quote from: ftigli on April 08, 2010, 03:43:32 PMWe started this project as and idea, to join a "Art du Facteur d'Orgue" III-IV project and the Buffet of Grand Organ from Andreas Roubo "Art du Menuissier-Carrossier".
So , the idea to rebuild an ancient organ but never buillted have a great success on our autorities, that decide to sponsor us.
So, the project starts and we now have a great organ from the ancient centuries..
About music, Marc pinardel plays "Summertime" with a singer the other year  .. ;-)
The sound is impressive and it is really a organ fest, with 17 stops reeds and Bombarde 16 to III manual plus Bombarde 16 to pedal ...  ::)

Hi!

:( >:( :'(

It's so very frustrating. Bags packed . . . and stuck. Unless by some sort of miracle it's impossible to fly to Rome today or tomorrow on account of the volcanic eruption . . .

So PLEASE can you do some videos of the talks tomorrow and the concerts and put them on YouTube and place links here?

Best wishes

Forum Admin

NonPlayingAnorak

Quote from: organforumadmin on April 15, 2010, 02:47:44 PM

Hi!

:( >:( :'(

It's so very frustrating. Bags packed . . . and stuck. Unless by some sort of miracle it's impossible to fly to Rome today or tomorrow on account of the volcanic eruption . . .

So PLEASE can you do some videos of the talks tomorrow and the concerts and put them on YouTube and place links here?

Best wishes

Forum Admin

Sorry, why are you stuck, David? If you're that desperate to get there, it's not an impossible drive...

KB7DQH

The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

David Pinnegar

WOW!

This is where Hauptwerk really scores in being able to experience such an instrument without having to travel there! I, for one, have not managed to visit it yet in the flesh . . .

If Member DHM might demonstrate this at the Oxford Hauptwerk demonstration I'll certainly come . . . and bring speakers to make it "real" rather than HiFi . . .

Best wishes

David P