News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Organist leads efforts to raise funds for Hammerwood Church

Started by David Pinnegar, September 04, 2011, 06:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Pinnegar

http://hammerwood.wordpress.com/

On Sunday 25th September 2011, Tamzin Swayne and Darren Roberts will be running in the East Grinstead 10k race, the first outing of the Hammerwood Harriers team.  Tamzin and Darren will be raising money towards the Flush Fund which will provide much needed improvement works and toilet facilities at St Stephen's Church in Hammerwood.

http://hammerwood.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/hammerwood-harriers.docx

A Quiz Night will be held on Saturday 15th October

Barrie Davis

David Pinnegar

Dear Barrie

They are working towards extending the unused south west porch to provide a water closet discreetly so that the church can be used more for concerts and other funds generating activities as well as wider community facilities, moving the font more prominently and usefully into the south aisle - it's tucked away awkwardly in the south west corner as well as general maintenance.

I hope that in providing a place for churches and organs to announce and encourage fundraising this forum will be a place of doing as well as mere talking . . .

Best wishes

David P

revtonynewnham

Hi

Hope it all goes well.  And hopefully you won't have the opposition to the work that another church I know of had to endure from locals who never ever went to the place, but didn't want their heritage disturbed!

Every Blessing

Tony

Barrie Davis

Hi

The scheme sounds good, we had planned something similar a few years ago but there was great opposition and then the Victorian Society got involved forcing the plans to gp to a Consistory Court. Only the Chancel area was altered and raised, the draughty windows remain and we long for a water closet in the building. I hope everything goes well for Hammerwood.

Best wishes

Barrie

revtonynewnham

Hi

The Victorian Society seem to be a real problem.  My son was on the PCC at his local parish church (another one with a large quota!).  The VS complained about the disabled access ramp (external) and refuse to let the church put the handrails on it that Health & Safety say are essential!  Just plain ridiculous.  When will these organisations realise that churches aren't museums or historic monuments, but places that need to be used in the 21st Century?  Whilst I would not want to see changes that destroy heritage for no real reason (such as "we need the space that the organ is occupying" which I've heard twice in respect of organ chambers that are on a different level to the rest of the building, and in one case only accessible from a tiered gallery!) change is essential - and indeed, many (if not all) church buildings have been changed over the years - not least by the Victorians who would probably wonder what all the fuss is about these days.

Every Blessing

Tony