News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

How much for a new organ action?

Started by wjoefox, September 10, 2011, 03:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wjoefox

Hi all,

I've been thinking about a church near me with small financial resources. The organ is in need of a totally new action only - the rest of the organ (pipework etc.) is in excellent condition.
Before I encourage them to approach an organ builder for a formal quotation, I wonder if any of you could advise me on what you would consider a sensible price for a new tracker action, with totally new materials. The organ is 2 manuals and pedal; and has 8 speaking stops, 3 couplers. I know of too many churches who have not had the best value from organ builders in restoration work, so I want to see what you all think!

Thanks,
wjoefox

revtonynewnham

Hi

Is the existing action tracker, or something else?  Even a very badly worn tracker action should be restorable, with only essential replacement parts.  Centres can be re-bushed, buttons replaced (and the threaded wires if necessary) - but the rest should be fine for another 100 years or more. 

If the current action is something else, then there could be big problems in adapting chests. etc.

Every Blessing

Tony