News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Mark Shepherd Director of Music at Charterhouse performing Hammerwood 18th June

Started by David Pinnegar, May 16, 2010, 08:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Pinnegar

Hi!

Mark Shepherd is performing again at Hammerwood. Friday 18th June 7.45pm.

PLEASE telephone 01342 850594 to let us know that you are coming. It's great not to have a last minute panic on the number of seats. . .

He describes the programme:
"Walton's Orb and Sceptre (arr McKie/Shepherd)  - because it's fun,
Bach An die wasserflussen Babylon, double pedal one, - because it's sublimely beautiful;
Bach Christ unser Herr zum Jordan Kamm, - because it manages to be both profound and lively;
the sicilienne from the Suite of Duruflé - because every meal needs a sorbet, and the
Carillon Sortie of Mulet - because I should have learnt it 25 years ago but need to now "

As you can tell, Mark is great fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgYkHA128ws
As a performer also he impresses me not only for his technique  but because he performs relaxed, taking it all in his stride and being very human
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Uj9MORwoF0
and making it all seem so easy.

These videos were made before I discovered how to replace the camera sound with a proper CD quality recording. In real life the organ sounds much better than these videos . . . but the delight of the instrument is firstly versatility in being able to represent any of the repertoire of the King of Instruments to concert audiences and secondly in groundbreaking presentation of music experimenting with temperament and registration, breaking away from often accepted norms which can be responsible for public perception of the organ and of classical music as "boring".

Best wishes

David P

revtonynewnham

Hi

Looks like a good programme - a pity that I live so far away - and Sundays are always busy!

Hope it goes well.

Every Blessing

Tony