News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Wanted organ relay or solid state controller

Started by ComptonNewbie, September 14, 2011, 11:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ComptonNewbie

I'm in the early stages of building a small extension organ for use at home.  I'm planning on using Compton console parts and direct action pallet magents for the chests.  What I am missing from the jigsaw is an economic relay system or equivalent solid state system.  New prices are too horrendous to consider, but I wondered if anyone had something suitable gathering dust?  The ideal would be an 1920s Compton relay stack, but anything that might do the job would be fine. 

Simon.

Holditch

Hello,

Yes professional solid state systems are very expensive especially when considering a small home organ.

You could use the traditional Kimber Allen 64 gang relay switches, and if you need some unification of the ranks use diodes. This is what I did with my great manual, which basically has three ranks of pipes but has five stops available. Further details can be seen at www.thecavendishorgan.com.

The KA 64 way switches can normally be found on ebay for 20 or 30 quid

You could also try this guy here http://classicorgans.co.uk/

I think he is still going and his prices seemed to be pretty down to earth.

I'm currently developing a basic system for my swell manual, but as usual things are progressing slowly!

Good luck

Marc
Dubois is driving me mad! must practice practice practice

ComptonNewbie

I had thought of KA relays, but even second hand the costs still mount up pretty quickly.  A horseshoe console with less than a dozen stops is starting to look a little bare.  Ideally I'd hope to grow to a couple of dozen stops, drawn from 4 unified & extended ranks, over 2 manuals and pedals.  I also have something of an attraction to the engineering in the 1920s electromachanical and electropneumatic relays too.  The combination of polished wood and brass can verge on art.

Thanks for the link to Classic Organs.  Unfortunately, at £200 per rank plus extra for extended stops, this is out of my budget. 

Simon.

dragonser

Hi,
there are some Kimber Allen switches on ebay that might be suitable.
item number: 300613983635
located in Bristol   pickup only ......

regards Peter B

P>S there are also some stops tabs being sold by the same seller

David Pinnegar

Stop tabs - we went to a SE Branch of the EOCS in the summer to a member who is decluttering - and he has hundreds of stop tabs, some of which are beautiful ivory . . . which of course he does not know what to do with nowadays . . .

Best wishes

David P

revtonynewnham

Hi

I's probably worth joining the EOCS and taker advanatage of the expertise there.

Every Blessing

Tony

David Morrell

Ive got some Compton relay stacks depends on how many stop keys you have. and loads of stop tabs and magnets, just finding the time to rummage through them

Dave