News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

School with £10,000 budget wants practice instrument. HauptwerK?

Started by David Pinnegar, September 18, 2011, 01:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Pinnegar

Hi!

I know of a school wanting to spend up to £10,000 on a small 2 manual and pedal practice pipe organ or electronic.

Can anyone supply a turnkey Hauptwerk solution for that?

Best wishes

David P

Contrabombarde

There was a company starting up in Gloucester that was building bespoke Hauptwerk consoles and DHM on the Hauptwerk forum is the UK contact for Hoffricher.

Being a school, would it not be an enterprising challenge to design and construct a Hauptwerk console, doing the necessary computer installation etc? Better still, find a redundant pipe organ in decent condition and relocate that, again as an exercise in design and technology or whatever woodworking is called these days. A few schools have gained organs that way.

Jonathan Lane

The latter suggestion sounds very sensible, if they need someone to talk to, I would be happy to.

Jonathan

David Pinnegar

Quote from: Contrabombarde on September 22, 2011, 08:17:56 PM
Being a school, would it not be an enterprising challenge to design and construct a Hauptwerk console, doing the necessary computer installation etc? Better still, find a redundant pipe organ in decent condition and relocate that, again as an exercise in design and technology or whatever woodworking is called these days.

I fear that affluenza and lack of attention beyond the tickboxes of a curriculum together with an aversion to amateurism will conspire against such a solution. Everything has to be "professional", glossy and expensive nowadays :-( I pointed them to a Johannus 1200 which made around £1200ish on ebay, but saving them over £8000 possibly to spend on a harpsichord, it wasn't expensive enough . . . :-(

dragonser

Hi,
surely for £ 8000 they should be able to get two harpsichords ! 
maybe of different dispositions ?
I do feel that the option of a Pipe Organ would have long term advantages to an electronic.

regards Peter B

Quote from: David Pinnegar on September 24, 2011, 12:56:47 AM

I fear that affluenza and lack of attention beyond the tickboxes of a curriculum together with an aversion to amateurism will conspire against such a solution. Everything has to be "professional", glossy and expensive nowadays :-( I pointed them to a Johannus 1200 which made around £1200ish on ebay, but saving them over £8000 possibly to spend on a harpsichord, it wasn't expensive enough . . . :-(

KB7DQH

QuoteI do feel that the option of a Pipe Organ would have long term advantages to an electronic.

Is there physical space for the "redundant pipe organ" solution?  I would think that a certain instrument immediately available, listed elsewhere on this forum,  a  former practice instrument good enough for David Sanger...  ought to be good enough for this school?

...Or...http://www.organmatters.com/index.php/topic,963.msg4420.html#new ???

The balance of the funds expended for acquisition would be usefully applied to the disassembly, transport, reassembly and any necessary cleaning and minor refurbishment...

Pity about the affluenza... With the global economy being in the state it is in, this disease may unfortunately cure itself :o

Regardless... given the school IS willing to offer instruction in the Organ provided a suitable instrument "speaks volumes" ;D   

Eric
KB7DQH

The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

Clarion

You probably couldn't do much better than a Phoenix. Here are the specs for a 29 stop Phoenix selling for £10,276. I received this data is from Phoenix, way in c. 2008, so things might have changed since then.

GREAT
1 Open Diapason 8
2 Stopped Diapason 8
3 Claribel Flute 8
4 Octave 4
5 Chimney Flute 4
6 Twelfth 22/3
7 Fifteenth 2
8 Tierce 13/5
9 Fourniture IV
10 Trumpet 8
11 Clarinet 8
12 Swell to Great

SWELL (enclosed)
1 Geigen 8
2 Gedackt 8
3 Salicional 8
4 Voix Celestes II
5 Principal 4
6 Nason Flute 4
7 Flautino 2
8 Mixture III
9 Contra Fagotto 16
10 Cornopean 8
11 Oboe 8
12 Tremulant

PEDAL
1 Principal 16
2 Bourdon 16
3 Octave 8
4 Bass Flute 8
5 Fifteenth 4
6 Mixture IV
7 Posaune 16
8 Swell to Pedal
9 Great to Pedal

PRICE
(including VAT, excluding
delivery and installation)
Two Manual Organ with
internal or external speakers
Lighted tab £ 10,276
Drawstop £ 13,209

diapason

We had a baroque organ mentioned here yesterday which would seem ideal for a school.  There was also an organ by Mander in a London college which was listed on here recently.  Either would be infinitely better than a toaster.

KB7DQH

Other than shipping and installation, I think this is what is envisioned...

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/2857171161.html

Quote30-Stop Two-Manual Virtual Pipe Organ - Perfect for Home/Studio/Church - $9875 (NY / Mt. Bethel, PA)
Date: 2012-02-17, 8:23PM EST
Reply to: kcmk6-2857171161@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
You'll be impressed by the unbelievable sounds from this instrument, which is a "digital carbon copy" of a magnificent 18th century organ in Freiburg (Saxony) built by a contemporary of J.S. Bach who is known as one of the world's greatest organ builders. This Silbermann organ is still played, but you don't have to go to Germany to hear it. You can have its sounds in your own living room, studio, church, or synagogue.

Beautiful solid oak console with 30 speaking stops, couplers, pistons and toe studs, and a full 32-note AGO pedalboard. Compact enough to fit in a living room or studio, and perfect for a school or church setting. The audio system can be customized to suit the size and acoustics of the setting.

Priced at less than $10K including a high quality audio system suitable for a home or studio, this organ represents value in every sense of the word. You are welcome to see and play this organ at our Mt. Bethel location, just off I-80 in Northeastern Pennsylvania. If a visit isn't practical, contact us for sound samples and an explanation of all the features of this organ. Perfect for a professional organist as a practice instrument, and just as perfect for a church or school that wants the best in sound quality at an affordable cost, which is far less than one-half of what is normally charged for such an organ.

This value is made possible because we were able to obtain and completely refit and refurbish a splendid pipe organ console with the latest digital technology. Once you've heard this organ, you'll immediately understand how special this opportunity is.

View details and contact information at http://legacyorgans.com

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

dragonser

Hi,
a previous poster mentioned an advert that said "You'll be impressed by the unbelievable sounds from this instrument, which is a "digital carbon copy" of a magnificent 18th century organ in Freiburg (Saxony)"
I guess how good a reproduction it is depends on not only how good the samples are, BUT also what speaker system is being used to reproduce them. If the Samples have got the existing Reverb in the Church on them then [ this is only my own opinion ] they won't work well in a space that has a strong Reverb of its own.
regards Peter B

p.s I would rather have Believable sounds rather than unbelivable sounds !

AnOrganCornucopia

This isn't my mum's school but it's in a similar position - there are two pipe organs (one small, recently-acquired Peter Collins, one unplayable 1930s Rushworth & Dreaper, which the school want rid of) but there's just nowhere to put what they actually need. They've recently spent several million on a new hall commemorating the school's 450th anniversary (though none of the buildings extant predate the 1930s). No-one thought to consult the resident organist, so they now have a state-of-the-art hall with a nice acoustic and barely even room for a toaster. So, the only alternative is a toaster in the old school hall. They've currently got a newish 3m/43ss Makin which has not proved satisfactory: there is currently a campaign running to have it replaced by a Hauptwerk setup, as comprehensive in spec as possible, with the console perhaps built in-house to save money and give the D&T students a project to work on.

PCND5584, I don't mind you editing my posts for potential controversy, but when it completely removes a point I'm making, it becomes a bit too much.

Contrabombarde

Quote from: AnOrganCornucopia on February 18, 2012, 06:36:32 PM
This isn't my mum's school but it's in a similar position - there are two pipe organs (one small, recently-acquired Peter Collins, one unplayable 1930s Rushworth & Dreaper, which the school want rid of) but there's just nowhere to put what they actually need. They've recently spent several million on a new hall commemorating the school's 450th anniversary (though none of the buildings extant predate the 1930s).

That's absolutely bizarre. My old school (MGS) has a small Peter Collins, an unplayable 1930s Rushworth and Dreaper (that probably very few people even know exists since the pipework is hidden behind a wooden screen at the front of the hall, and the console was dismantled by my father and me to make way for the Peter Collins). The buildings date from the 1930s, acquired a new hall recently and might have been the same school except mine is 497 years old this year. Where are you?

David Pinnegar

Quote from: AnOrganCornucopia on February 18, 2012, 06:36:32 PM
PCND5584, I don't mind you editing my posts for potential controversy, but when it completely removes a point I'm making, it becomes a bit too much.

:-) We are very lucky and most fortunate to have a generous amount of time devoted by a group of busy people to assist with this forum and sometimes pressures on their time can be put to the test!

Thank you for making interesting observations and to PCND for his part in curatorship of this forum . . .

Best wishes

David P

AnOrganCornucopia

This school is Hampton School, Middlesex, one of whose old boys is Brian May, Queen guitarist, PhD astrophysicist and owner of the world's biggest collection of Star Trek memorabilia! Under the incumbent organ teacher, the school has achieved great success, with five Oxbridge organ scholarships won in the last ten years (two have now gone on to build quite a reputation, one in opera, the other in a major cathedral in the American Episcopal church). The Collins organ was purchased on the back of the good will resulting from the awarding of the first Oxford organ scholarship (to a lad who is now one of Britain's finest opera conductors) in 2001. It was originally built for the late Sheila Lawrence, then ended up in the collection of one Benjamin Tregear, of the Manor House, East Marden, West Sussex (a VERY isolated, tiny village with a barn of a church containing a GLORIOUS Elliot chamber organ.

David, I should have said "removes half the point I'm making, rendering the other half meaningless". If there's a point I'm making which is unacceptable to the moderators, I accept that. It's when it's simply removing something small (and with it the whole meaning of the point) that I get a little annoyed.

CMDigitalOrgans

To AnOrganCornucopia:

I own a company building dedicated Hauptwerk instruments.  We could build a 3 or 4 manual organ with either touch screens to display an infinite number of different organ sample sets or tabs above which several sample sets can be displayed.  As you well know, Hauptwerk blows Makin out of the water. 

As for the school with the £10,000 budget, we've got a 2 manual Hauptwerk instrument with the following disposition that would be just a little more than £10,000 pounds, although regarding shipping and import duties, we'd have to check with our Customs Brokers before quoting a final price.  If it's for a practice room, speakers and amplifiers will be very inexpensive.  We deal the same speakers as Marshall & Ogletree.

Pedal
16' Principalbass
16' Contrabass
16' Soubasse
8' Octavbass
8' Gedackt
4' Octave
Mixtur IV
16' Basson
16' Bombarde
8' Trompete
Gt. to Ped.
Sw. to Ped

Great
16' Montre
8' Principal
' Flûte Harmonique
8' Gamba
8' Bourdon
4' Praestant
4' Rohrflöte
2 2/3' Quinte8
2' Superoctave
Cornet II-V
Mixtur V-VII
Cimbel IV-V
8' Trompete
4' Trompete
Sw. to Gt.

Swell (expressive)
16' Gedeckt
8' Principal
8' Geigenprincipal
8' Cor de nuit
8' Flûte Traversiere
8' Bourdon a cheminée
8' Gamba
8' Voix céleste
8' Salicional
4' Praestant
4' Flûte conique
2 2/3' Quinte
2' Doublette
2' Octavin
1 3/5' Terz
1 1/3' Larigot
Mixtur IV-VI
8' Trompette
8' Cromorne
8' Basson-hautbois
Tremulant

Regards,
Christopher Martin,
CM Digital Organs
martindigitalorgans.com

dragonser

Hi,
well I haven't heard the modern Makin Organs in a similar setting to that which I have heard Hauptwerk in so I can't compare the two directly.
I feel that any Electronic instrument relies on the Speakers and Amplifiers that are used, and that the more channels of amplification used, the more likely it is to get realistic sounds.
one thing to consider when deciding is what warranty is offered with each instrument ?
Any instrument ( whether Pipe or Electronic ) will as far as I know have to be voiced to suit the building it is in.

regards Peter B

Quote from: CMDigitalOrgans on October 05, 2012, 01:36:13 AM
To AnOrganCornucopia:

As you well know, Hauptwerk blows Makin out of the water. 

Regards,
Christopher Martin,
CM Digital Organs
martindigitalorgans.com

David Pinnegar

Hi!

I had half a feeling that Hampton was a school that bought a second hand 1990s Makin Encore like the one that forms the basis of the concert instrument at Hammerwood. If anyone knows of anyone who wants to get rid of a like instrument, I would be interested for spares.

Best wishes

David P