News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

From the Trinity Wall Street Episcopal Church, website...

Started by KB7DQH, September 20, 2011, 02:34:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KB7DQH

http://www.trinitywallstreet.org/music/organ/

There is so much controversy in the "organ world" surrounding this installation that I thought it prudent to provide a link to the church website with all THEY have said about the matter...

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

Jonathan Lane

I haven't heard it lie, but the recordings I have heard are impressive!

Jonathan

AV

Hi,

A few things here.

I think you actually mean Trinity Wall Street, Episcopal Church.  Not Lutheran.

I went to NYC in 2004 and played this instrument, and also heard it played by others.  The instrument is absolutely stunning.  It was a revelation to me in how much better it was than any other electronic organ I had heard. 

From pipe organ fanatics, no electronic organ was supposed to ever sound this good, or be installed in a church such as Trinity Wall Street.  TWS is among the wealthiest parishes on the planet, and could cut a cheque for any kind of pipe organ they wanted.  But they decided on an M&O.

What makes the M&O electronic organ different are the following,
1) tone generation, using industrial strength PCs, means no compromise, as computing power is enormous.
2) every note of every stop has long samples (longer than 10 seconds), and done in stereo
3) has blower and action noise - done very nicely
4) huge audio system - over 80 audio channels
5) installed by musicians - both Marshall and Ogletree are concert level organists

The result is a superb instrument.  I am not surprised that TWS is keeping it.

Another American company, Walker Technical also makes wonderful, truly superior instruments.

The Hauptwerk program with it's sample sets is in some ways similar to the M&O, in that it uses long samples, PCs, etc., so theoretically  can offer results close to M&O.

And by the way, the M&O in Trinity Wall Street, actually sounds better in the church than on recordings.  It is an instrument all organ lovers should make a pilgrimage to go and see.

AV 

KB7DQH

QuoteI think you actually mean Trinity Wall Street, Episcopal Church.  Not Lutheran.

OOOOps!  Duly noted and post topic edited to correct... :-[ :-[ :-[

Live is always better than recorded...

See my signature line...

Eric
KB7DQH

The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."