News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Italian Church want a 20.000 € pipe organ for services...

Started by StefanoGhezzi, October 01, 2011, 03:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StefanoGhezzi

Hello to everyone,
I'm the titular organist of the St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Desio (Milan) - Italy. Our church (build in 2000) is waiting for over ten years for a good pipe organ. Unluckily we don't have much money for a new organ, so we want to buy a used organ even in medium conditions. Can someone help me and my parish? We had a budget of 20.000 € (something more or something less)...

Thanks a lot in advance,

Stefano

PS: sorry for my poor English...

Janner

Could you say what size organ you are looking for? For example, how many manuals? How many speaking stops? What physical size (width, depth and height)?

StefanoGhezzi

Hi! Our ideal is for an organ of two (even three) manuals, not too large, with a 16' reed-stop to the pedal... About physical size we have a lot of space in height and width but less in depth. Thanks!

Jonathan Lane

Hi Stefano,

If you would like to get in touch directly I may be able to help or source something for you.  We are offered organs every week and cannot take most of those which come to us because of time and space constraints.

My contact details are on our website at www.organ-builder.co.uk

Best wishes,

Jonathan

David Pinnegar

Hi!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bates-Church-Organ-/270839187572

Swell Organ - Tremulant; Gemshorn; Vox Celeste; Open Diapason; Oboe; Viol D'Orchestre; Stop Diapason; Great Organ - Flute; Clarabella; Principal; Dulciana; Open Diapason. Couplers - Swell to Great; Great to Pedal; Swell Super to Great; Swell to pedal. Pedal Organ - Base Flute; Bourdon.

Rather an octopod but really depends on how it's voiced . . . This is just the sort of instrument that could so benefit from some extra upperwork possibly supplied through means that I've suggested elsewhere on this forum . . .

Best wishes

David P

melhadfield

Hi
Have you got an organ yet?
If not I can send you details of a Peter Conacher organ which is in beautiful condition and would be available within your budget.
Regards
Mel

AnOrganCornucopia

EdwardDean

Mel - would it be possible to see a copy of the specification too?

ED

makemoreandmore

2m Tracker Peter Conacher & Co, Springwood, Huddersfield

Ped Bourdon 16'

Gt   Open Diapason 8', Dulciana 8', Stopped Diapason 8', Principal 4', Fifteenth, 2'

Sw  Violin Diapason 8', Salicional 8', Gemshorn 4', Oboe 8'

It has excellent quality pipework which is in excellent condition. The facade has ornately stencilled pipes, typical of its age.

The instrument is beautifully compact,  having been previously installed on a gallery, very close to the ceiling.

It has recently been professionally dismantled and could be re-installed 'as is' with no major work required.

melhadfield

Quote from: EdwardDean on February 11, 2012, 05:55:16 PM
Mel - would it be possible to see a copy of the specification too?

ED
Hi Ed
The organ is in a chapel in Wales at the moment, I can send more details and pics Wednesday 22nd Feb if required.
Cheers
Mel

ophicleide

Stefano, there is a list of redundant organs on the IBO web site, the one which may suit your requirements most closely is this one

http://www.ibo.co.uk/IBO2005/services/redundant/manResult.asp?manuals=three&Submit=View&index=0

which is currently in storage so would save on costs of dismantling.

best wishes,

Geoff

Contrabombarde

Do check out the BIOS link, some absolute gems there. High on my list would be the 3 man Lewis currently in St Marks Battersea Rise in south London - I am surprised to see it listed there but an abolute gem and easier to make a decision when the instrument is still in situ and working. Also BIOS lists a 3 man Harrison and Harrison from the peak of their romantic reign. Obviously there will be significant transport and re-erection costs involved but you can't go wrong with either instrument. Admittedly neither has the 16 foot pedal reed you mentioned but not the end of the world and as a last resort can always be added subsequently though there would have been tonal reaons for not including from the outset. Happy hunting!

David Pinnegar

Quote from: Contrabombarde on February 21, 2012, 03:32:09 PM
Do check out the BIOS link, some absolute gems there.

Hi!

Do you mean IBO link? Seeking a BIOS link I stumbled on http://www.bios.org.uk/events.php with a very interesting day next weekend near you . . .

My choice from those available there would be the TC Lewis:
http://www.ibo.co.uk/IBO2005/services/redundant/manResult.asp?manuals=three&Submit=View&index=2

Locally there is a 7 rank or so instrument with such a very live Diapason and Principal one can experience why the Victorians saw less overriding need for upperwork. But the 3 manual listed there has some upperwork too. It may be a particularly inspirational instrument.

Best wishes

David P

StefanoGhezzi

Hi everyone!

A lot of thanks for your kind help!

Unfortunately my church cut founds for the organ... So now we have ONLY 6000 €... Impossible to found a pipe organ with this budget! :(
So ---> digital organ  :'(

stefano

Contrabombarde

Did you say impossible to find a pipe organ within a budget of £6000? You will have to accept a second hand digital with a very inferior sound system for that price too unless you can persuade David Pinnegar to let slip his trade secret about speaker design, which I'm quite sure he wouldn't do in the context of a church that was getting an electronic organ rather than a pipe!

How about this - it belonged to a recently deceased internationally renowned concert organist who taught on it so I'd expect it to be in pristine condition.
http://www.cumbriachapel.com/
Yours for just £1500 (or less if you can negotiate!).

Or given your location, how about enquiring about the price for this Harrison with a very grand Italianate-looking case?
http://www.ibo.co.uk/IBO2005/services/redundant/manResult.asp?manuals=two&Submit=View&index=44

Contrabombarde

matt h

Hi

Have to agree with Contrabombarde on this, given your budget it should still be possible to get a redundant pipe organ; some are quite often offered for a donation. 

Does the 6000 Eu include shipping or is it solely for purchase of an organ?

Regards,
Matt.

David Pinnegar

Quote from: Contrabombarde on February 21, 2012, 09:48:11 PMunless you can persuade David Pinnegar to let slip his trade secret about speaker design, which I'm quite sure he wouldn't do in the context of a church that was getting an electronic organ rather than a pipe!

How about this - it belonged to a recently deceased internationally renowned concert organist who taught on it so I'd expect it to be in pristine condition.
http://www.cumbriachapel.com/
Yours for just £1500 (or less if you can negotiate!).

:-) As to the first, well guessed!

On the second, pipe organs are often going begging for a rescue. If you can hire appropriate transport and pipe trays or other appropriate packing, then provided you can harness the enthusiasm of volunteers, there are a group of us on this forum who have useful amateur and more professional knowledge about moving organs which we can pass on to you. You might need an organ builder to help with pipe voicing for the new location and getting the odd pipe on speech, but by doing the donkey work and assembling and adjusting the action yourselves you can save a fortune.

I rescued and dismantled and rebuilt my first pipe organ at the age of 15, so it's not rocket science but being methodical and logical is supremely important.

Best wishes

David P

StefanoGhezzi

Hi everyone.

Sorry if I don't attend the forum so much, but I'm in trouble with my wireless line.  >:(

Thanks for the new posts! The Harrison proposed by Contrebombarde it looks and sounds (from the disposition) wonderful. So, I'm trying to move something in my parish council, I hope that something will concludes. Our very old (and very ugly) GEM Prelude is dying slowly, so we must do something!

Thanks again! :)
Best regards
stefano

David Drinkell

While side-tracked looking through the IBO List, I noticed the 1969 E.J. Johnson organ at Willingham, Bedfordshire.  I remember this as a decent little job when it was new.

http://www.ibo.co.uk/IBO2005/services/redundant/manResult.asp?manuals=two&Submit=View&index=4