News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Walker 3 stop 2 manual practice Organ on ebay

Started by dragonser, February 16, 2011, 02:22:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonser

Hi,
I just saw this Organ on ebay and thought I would mention it.
Item number: 130487154880

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Walker-2-manual-3-stop-practice-organ-/130487154880?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Keyboard_RL&hash=item1e61a3f8c0

looking at the specification it does seem possibly a bit limited as the pedals are always coupled to the upper manual. of course I'm the first to admit I have a lot to learn about Pipe organs ......

regards Peter B

David Pinnegar

Hi!

Organs such as this are not to be sneezed at and can be very satisfying.

Pedals coupled to upper manual are rather like the Resonnance of French organs such as St Maximin - the pedals have to get their access to pipes from somewhere so it's a good idea to provide the versatility of two manuals.

From recent ebay auctions it looks as though price is inversely proportional to size!

Best wishes

David P

revtonynewnham

Hi

Absolutely fine for what it's designed as - a practice organ.  2 manuals - albeit with a common 8ft stop, but 4 on one & 2 on the other providing various combinations plus a basic chorus - plus the pedals.  pedal pull-downs aren't that much of a problem - the chamber organ here has them (although at 16ft pitch down to GG)  An independent pedal stop is a desirable extra, but not essential for this sort of organ's intended role.  A fractional-length reed as on http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=E00937 (which I have played) or even a rank of free reeds or electronics could be implemented if you felt the need for an independent pedal stop.

Every Blessing

Tony

Barry Williams

The question of what stops to have on a Practise Organ is indoubtedly one of the most difficult to answer.

Inevitably, there are limitations of space, acceptable volume, (though that is not so much of a probem as might at first be thought,) and, of course, cost.

In the 1970s there were a number of very small tracker action organs produced like this one, presumably because it was felt that the advantages of tracker action outweighed other considerations.  Hill, Norman & Beard made a very small 'Chester'  for home use.    Osmonds of Taunton made a similar instrument which I found rather more pleasing.

BF, BM & L and I spent many long hours before we settled on a scheme.  Here it is: http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=K00071

For us, the most important concern was to hear the pipes before we bought them.  So many people commission new organs and then find the neo-baroque tones wearing after a year or two.  Our research included a most careful study of Victorian House Organs.  The pleasure of listening to real pipes is tremendous.  There are a large number of people who have small pipe organs in their homes, often of only three or four ranks.  THe cost of such an instrument need be no more than a very good electronic machine.

Barry Williams

dragonser

Hi,
many thanks for all the replies, and also the links to details of Other Practice Organs.

regards Peter B

KB7DQH

The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

wjoefox

Quote from: Barry Williams on February 16, 2011, 04:55:05 PM
In the 1970s there were a number of very small tracker action organs produced like this one, presumably because it was felt that the advantages of tracker action outweighed other considerations.  Hill, Norman & Beard made a very small 'Chester'  for home use.    Osmonds of Taunton made a similar instrument which I found rather more pleasing.

@Barrie Williams; these organs sound very interesting!
Do you know if any examples of the HN&B 'Chester' still around today (or any needing homes?)? I would be intrigued to see an example of a traditional practice instrument. Do you know of any NPOR index references to one?
In addition, if you have any more information about the Osmonds instrument, it would be interesting to hear.
Thanks.

PS: the Walker organ which began this discussion, has now been removed from the owner's home.