News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Taylor, Loughborough

Started by Holditch, January 11, 2011, 03:38:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holditch

Dubois is driving me mad! must practice practice practice

David Pinnegar

Hi!

I'm sure that I have seen this seller selling an organ before on eBay - it might even be this instrument.

Certainly it's a very competant specification and it must be a matter of significant debate whether to restore the Clarinet and Diapason - brilliant that those ranks were preserved. It really depends perhaps on whether perhaps the Larigot might turn into a Tierce to enable a French Cornet, Jeu de Tierce, or harmonic synthesis of a clarinet.

It doesn't seem to be very clear what the action is . . . presumably tracker?

It would be great to know the size . . .

Best wishes

David P

revtonynewnham

Hi

The NPOR survey says that the manual action is tracker and the pedals pneumatic.

Every Blessing

Tony

NonPlayingAnorak

Quote from: David Pinnegar on January 11, 2011, 05:17:36 AM
Hi!

I'm sure that I have seen this seller selling an organ before on eBay - it might even be this instrument.

Certainly it's a very competant specification and it must be a matter of significant debate whether to restore the Clarinet and Diapason - brilliant that those ranks were preserved. It really depends perhaps on whether perhaps the Larigot might turn into a Tierce to enable a French Cornet, Jeu de Tierce, or harmonic synthesis of a clarinet.

It doesn't seem to be very clear what the action is . . . presumably tracker?

It would be great to know the size . . .

Best wishes

David P

I think that, before anything else, a Pedal reed would have to be a priority...  but yes, I'd return the Clarinet. Also, I'd replace the Dulciana - I've encountered dozens of such stops, all of which have been utterly useless - with an 8ft Orchestral Oboe. Such a stop, combined with the Clarinet, should provide a fairly convincing Cromorne.

Barrie Davis

I know the church is desperate to dispose of this organ as it has become very "Happy Clappy", the father of the Administrator there attends my own church. I know they are restricted on the sale due to the Historic Organ status and any buyer would not be able to make many if any tonal alterations.

Barrie

NonPlayingAnorak

Why should they need to dispose of it? It's on a West end gallery, which they can't exactly turn into a meeting room or whatever they put in former organ chambers...

Holditch

Quote from: NonPlayingAnorak on January 12, 2011, 01:49:59 AM
Why should they need to dispose of it? It's on a West end gallery, which they can't exactly turn into a meeting room or whatever they put in former organ chambers...

Maybe they feel somewhat guilty about its demise and would rather have it out of sight!

(sorry I shouldnt be so beastly!)

NonPlayingAnorak

Stupid [inappropriate word deleted] evangelical [ianappropriate word deleted] >:(

There's a fine big church in Guildford, on the northern edge of the town centre, with a prominent spire. It's a rather cheap, slightly spindly but nevertheless atmospheric 1870s Gothic job, but there's a hideous (and huge) extension on the North side, and, on the South side of the chancel, clearly visible, is the front of a substantial 3-manual Hele (yes, this far East), which houses... yep, you got it, a band practice room!

The choir stalls have also been binned in favour of an immersion baptismal pool...

Mind you, I cannot pretend that my views are representative - I mean, how many reactionary lapsed Arch-Tridentinist Roman Catholic 19-year-olds can there be?!  ::)

David Pinnegar

Quote from: Barrie Davis on January 12, 2011, 01:32:37 AM
I know the church is desperate to dispose of this organ as it has become very "Happy Clappy", the father of the Administrator there attends my own church.

:-) Sounds as though they need unhappying and unclapping. Fire and brimstone should do the trick .. .

Best wishes

David P

revtonynewnham

Quote from: NonPlayingAnorak on January 12, 2011, 05:04:29 AM
Stupid bloody evangelical bastards  >:(

Hi

Do you want to alienate people?  It just so happens that I'm basically an evangelical - and I strongly object to your terminology and narrow, bigoted views.

I object to churches disposing of organs - but contemporary worship styles allow people to connect with God - and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that!  Especially if the music is done well.

Tony

NonPlayingAnorak

Quote from: revtonynewnham on January 12, 2011, 03:02:57 PM
Quote from: NonPlayingAnorak on January 12, 2011, 05:04:29 AM
Stupid bloody evangelical bastards  >:(

Hi

Do you want to alienate people?  It just so happens that I'm basically an evangelical - and I strongly object to your terminology and narrow, bigoted views.

I object to churches disposing of organs - but contemporary worship styles allow people to connect with God - and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that!  Especially if the music is done well.

Tony

I'm sorry, I've just seen far too many cases of "Hi I'm Dave and you're all sacked and that organ is scrap". I've never yet encountered an evangelical Anglican who wasn't totally full of B.S., nor such a church where the music was anything less than thoroughly incompetent. The church building usually ends up totally wrecked too. I never meant to include intelligent, well-informed, cultured people such as yourself in my rude remarks and should definitely have phrased them rather better. Trust me, Tony, I've got a lot of admiration for you...

Barrie Davis

I am also "evangelical" and I find your attitude and often crude language very unacceptable on a public forum.

NonPlayingAnorak

So why don't you ban me then? You're the admin... so much for free speech.

revtonynewnham

Hi

Rights also bring responsibilities!  Some of your statements have been bordering of libel.  You are entitled to your opinion - but opinions can and should be expressed in a way that's not offensive to those who don't happen to agree with you.

Every Blessing

Tony

David Pinnegar

Hi!

I believe that it's particularly important for there to be a place where the young generation can have the benefit of the erudition, experience and expertise of a generation who might not be with us in twenty years time. It's for that reason that many of us in this forum want to encourage all who really enthuse about the organ to be able to partake and enjoy and acquire wisdom of those before . . .

It's for that reason that when we have a young dental student so clever as to be able to work on three patients at once, for my part I'd rather allow thoughts and prejudices to be aired in the open, and as here, appropriately reprimanded in the open than merely edited out by moderators, leaving such prejudices unchecked merely to be swept under the carpet but remain to fester in the individual concerned.

However, there comes a point where threads so diverted can become so off topic as to be worthless to the general reader and visitor to the forum. This topic is about an organ which desperately needs a loving home. Perhaps the parish might be persuaded to reassess their proposed orphaning of their instrument and possibly to value the treasure that they have. However, dental tooth extractors and organ extractors within Parishes appear to hold rather to fixed ideas which can be difficult to be changed and viewed from other perspectives. Perhaps having aired such issues, further posts might revert to the subject of the thread, the rehoming of this significant instrument . . .

If you are reading this column as a visitor to this forum and sympathise with my view of keeping threads on track, then it would be really appreciated if you might simply join the forum and help to contribute relevant posts. We have a lot of lurkers in our membership and, as organ lovers, if we can't voice enthusiasm for the instrument that we love, we can hardly expect parishes such as the one wanting to dispose of this instrument that their instrument really is something to be cherished, loved, maintained, preserved and ENJOYED!

Best wishes

David P

David Pinnegar

Hi!

This instrument made the princely sum of £175

I hope it goes somewhere where it will be loved and not to a servant of inappropriate greed.

Occasions such as this raise the issue that once upon a time, people gave to a church an object of great worth for use and inspiration. If churches make waste of such gifts, they expose themselves to sentiments of being inappropriate trustees of good things and are likely not to receive further gifts from people who expect their generosity to be of use and to be remembered by those who follow as inspirations. . .

Best wishes

David P

Holditch

Yes, lets hope it goes to a more welcome and worthy home, especially one where it will be used day in day out. I would have loved to have taken it for the church where I play, however it doesn't surprise me about the £ 175. This figure is trivial really considering the cost to remove and resurrect the organ. I would guess £ 20 to 30k to do it properly?

The increase in awareness of the pipe organ is essential, lest we disappear into dust!

revtonynewnham

Quote from: David Pinnegar on January 27, 2011, 03:50:55 AM
Hi!

This instrument made the princely sum of £175

I hope it goes somewhere where it will be loved and not to a servant of inappropriate greed.

Occasions such as this raise the issue that once upon a time, people gave to a church an object of great worth for use and inspiration. If churches make waste of such gifts, they expose themselves to sentiments of being inappropriate trustees of good things and are likely not to receive further gifts from people who expect their generosity to be of use and to be remembered by those who follow as inspirations. . .

Best wishes

David P

Hi

I sometimes wonder how this sort of sale stacks up with the requirements of charity trustees to maximize the income for the charity when things are sold.    Not to mention the potential pastoral issues involved with the descendants of the original donors.  All too often in our society, the short-term view prevails, with no thought for possible future changes, nor for preserving the value of assets.

Every Blessing

Tony

KB7DQH

DejaVu...http://www.organmatters.co.uk/index.php?topic=109.0

Looks like the same instrument..........

Looked at the ebay listing in this thread and the sale price is far from its "appraised" value :(

So not sure if the seller actually "accepted" the winning bid or not...  Based on the post linked above it is far from the "original" asking price...

So Yes, they must have some desperate reason for "letting it go" for what essentially is a "giveaway" price...

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

Barrie Davis

Yes I am sure it is the same instrument, it says somewhere that it is being replaced by a digital instrument, this in fact happened a while ago. In a post they are going on about the historical merits of the instrument and how the replaced pipework could be taken out and replaced with the original pipes which were stored under the bellows. I cannot see why the organ could not have remained where it was until a more suitable buyer or home could be found for it.
Does the Historic Organ Certificate mean nothing or is this simply another meaningless piece of paper. It seems so.
Barrie