News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Urgent home needed for fine instrument in Purbrook Hants

Started by David Pinnegar, June 04, 2011, 01:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Pinnegar

Hi!

I received details this morning of
http://www.organmatters.co.uk/Purbrook%20-%20Methodist%20-%20Bishop%201894%20-%20Hants%20UK%20-%20M0188.htm

NPOR  P00655

Bishop & Son 1894 - Dimensions - Width   c.12ft est. Depth   c. 8ft? est.  Height  c.14ft est.

12 stops

Best wishes

David P

KB7DQH

With enough ceiling clearance it would likely make a brilliant residence organ ;)

Or a completely unique possibility... Depending on what the "buyers" are doing with the building, could it remain in situ and serve the new building owners?  I know of (and have posted examples on this forum) of church buildings "repurposed" with the organs remaining, and regularly being played ;)  In one case the organ's presence was unknown to the buyers of the building until restoration/remodeling caused a wall to be removed revealing an historically significant instrument, and having been restored, is a "center-piece" of the new facility 8) 8) 8)

However...
QuoteI do just wonder if there could be room for it anywhere at Hampton School... Or if I could persuade my local Methodist church to bin their toaster...

There are lots of examples of orphan pipe organs who find new homes in schools, and, frequently, are used to replace "binned toasters" 8)

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

revtonynewnham

Hi

I always wonder when people say that a building needs a large(r) organ.  In fact, it depends on the musical requirements.  I have successfully led the singing of a congregation of 500 at a Midnight Mass with a tiny chamber organ (4-5 stops, no pedals) but out at the side of the crossing in an Anglican church - and I didn't need to use full organ all of the time!

I recently had opportunity to play the Wingfield organ (reconstruction of a Tudor organ) and even the single 5ft rank filled Bradford Cathedral.

Voicing and position are more important than sheer size!

Every Blessing

Tony

Janner

Quote from: David Pinnegar on June 04, 2011, 01:23:54 PM
Hi!

http://www.organmatters.co.uk/Purbrook%20-%20Methodist%20-%20Bishop%201894%20-%20Hants%20UK%20-%20M0188.htm

NPOR  P00655

David P

Does any member on here have knowledge of, or aquaintance with, this organ? If so, any comments please?

Please PM me if you prefer.  :)

Thanks.

Janner

Quote from: David Pinnegar on June 04, 2011, 01:23:54 PM
Hi!

NPOR  P00655

Bishop & Son 1894 - Dimensions - Width   c.12ft est. Depth   c. 8ft? est.  Height  c.14ft est.

12 stops

Best wishes

David P

Have been to look at this organ.

It seems to be a very nice instrument, and playable even though it has been out of use, apparently for a couple of years. Not surprisingly it is in need of tuning, but all in all rather good, I thought. If there were any serious problems lurking, they weren't immediately obvious. (Only a very amateur and completely uneducated opinion of course.)

It's taller than stated, at close to 19 feet, and the quoted measurements don't include the blower and bellows, which are in a separate cupboard measuring approximately 15' x 5' x 4'. The pedal action is TP.

The good news: I believe they have had some interest and a possible serious offer. I hope very much that it works out for them as the organ seems to be well worth saving.

Janner

Apparently this one will be emigrating to France. It's good to hear that it will continue to be used.

diapason

organforumadmin

Quote from: Voix Cynique on July 07, 2011, 04:08:38 PMapparently the Dutch reformed church (or is it the re-reformed church? I can't remember!) are getting into Anglican-style choral services big time and are looking to acquire redundant English organs to complement their Baroque instruments... I wonder why this is?

. . . A good point you raise here and this is just the reason why we need to persuade curators of organs such as at Charterhouse Chapel not to get rid of them when in fact the fashion is swinging and changing . . .

diapason

Quote from: organforumadmin on July 07, 2011, 05:50:09 PM
Quote from: Voix Cynique on July 07, 2011, 04:08:38 PMapparently the Dutch reformed church (or is it the re-reformed church? I can't remember!) are getting into Anglican-style choral services big time and are looking to acquire redundant English organs to complement their Baroque instruments... I wonder why this is?

My friend and colleague from Latvia knows of a number of English organs which have been rescued and rebuilt in Latvian churches, in both Lutheran and RC churches.  The Latvian composer Romaulds Jermaks has been involved with several of these rebuilds.

Nigel