News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Barrel organ - always of musicological interest

Started by David Pinnegar, June 03, 2011, 03:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Pinnegar

Hi!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BARREL-PIPE-ORGAN-/110695957453 looks interesting. Instruments such as this can be undiscovered gems. THe repertoire pinned on barrels is always interesting as can also be the interpretation . . . Looks like a worthwhile project.

Best wishes

David P

dragonser

Hi,
wasn't there a section in the Dom Bedos book where he described the barrel [ with pins ] and also has the music notated that relates to the Barrel.
this means that I think someone has been able to recreate what the original music was, and how it was intended to be played.
But I can't find the references to this online.

regards Peter B

revtonynewnham

Hi

Arthur Ord-Hume's book "Barrel Organ" makes interesting reading.  An acquaintance of mine has a couple of barrel organs in his collection - very interesting organs, and the barrels have their uses in the musicological research of the period.  Again, they were common in the early Victorian era of great changes in many churches, providing music where there was no other player.  I suppose in some senses, we've come full-circle on that one with the "digital hymnal" machines and MIDI file players sometimes used in musician-less churches today - but at least with a hand-cranked barrel organ, the speed of playback could be relatively easily adjusted to cope with a typical congregation!

Every Blessing

Tony

KB7DQH

And of enough musicological interest that the whole of the "Organ Loft" radio program last Sunday
was devoted to them...

http://www.organmatters.com/index.php/topic,799.msg3834.html#msg3834

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."