News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Cameron Carpenter - Killing Me Loudly

Started by Holditch, January 26, 2011, 01:14:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holditch

If you have a spare 1hr 30 mins, its an interesting watch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeOvWB8TeV0&feature=related

A very interesting opinion about the organ, one I have much agreement with. Quite interesting, especially in the context of an Athiest talking, and quite a champion

Hope you find it interesting (scroll through to Cameron's bit about 10 mins in)

PS dont think he would be allow to play in church in that outfit! and I also dont agree with his preferal of virtual organs to pipes (so maybe I've contradicted my previous statement!)

Marc
Dubois is driving me mad! must practice practice practice

Holditch

Well after 41 mins, his idea of the ideal virtual organ sounds good, but will the loudspeakers let it down!

Agh, think this is the weak link, again!

David Pinnegar

He'd do well to consult someone who knows about how speakers can perform rather than merely to reproduce  . . .

Best wishes

David P

KB7DQH

Finally got a chance to see the video... Here are some of my thoughts...

First...
Wait until all that "massive parallel processing" develops the BSOD :o ;D ;D ;D

His assertion that the organ's decline began about the time that "available technology" was no longer being applied to pipe organs to "aid the organist" may be justified... but he ignores other key events in the development of technologies which made it much easier for the "masses" to enjoy music in the comfort of their homes rather than having to go to concert halls.  (Oddly enough it will be this same technology for which the success or failure of his "touring instrument" will depend :o

He essentially "bashes" the whole "organ reform movement" mainly because the focus of "organ performance" was shifted from the "organist" to the "organ builder" and thus the only audience for
organ concerts under these conditions became, mainly, "organists" :o ::) 

I can agree with this assertion to "some degree" however it was E. Power Biggs who brought the "sound" of those great European Baroque-era instruments to the USA by recording recitals in Europe and then making those recordings available (on Columbia records) and then commissioning the construction of a very successful instrument here in the USA based on the tonal principles found in these early European instruments-- and played to a countrywide audience on his weekly radio program... and thus spawned a demand for organs built in that style-- and for which a number were built, both by European builders and later in the USA by the likes of Holtkamp, Braumbaugh, Fisk, Taylor and Boody, Fritts, and Pasi  ??? :o 8) 8) 8)

More in the "Mad Organists" subject ???

Eric
KB7DQH

The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

barniclecompton

I like him, but i dont. He seems to put down real instruments quite abit......mainly cuz he cant really get on with them!

Holditch

I suspect he will mellow, as he gets older.

I'm sure if you asked him he would have great respect for most pipe organs, its just his technical ability exceeds the capabilities of most mechanical keyboards and switching systems. He is very clever but not necessarily correct but I think worthy of being in the limelight

Marc

barniclecompton

He does have some amazing technical skills, but i question his musicality........but, it entertains people, and at the end of the day, that is what people want. If he puts bums on seats......

revtonynewnham

Quote from: barniclecompton on February 20, 2011, 12:27:37 AM
He does have some amazing technical skills, but i question his musicality........but, it entertains people, and at the end of the day, that is what people want. If he puts bums on seats......

Hi

I agree - and I'm not convinced that it's a good thing.  How many of those "bums on seats" will return if the music doesn't communicate?  I took my wife to an organ recital when we were on honeymoon - she's only recently been persuaded to go to another - the reason - the player (I can't remember who) was "listen to how well I can play" - and the music was totally lost ina welter of notes - I didn't enjoy it either.

Every Blessing

Tony