News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Difficulties of registration?

Started by organforumadmin, February 07, 2011, 06:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

organforumadmin

Hi!

I have just had a message:

I have from time to time observed guests "registering for an account on the forum" but seldom see these appear as new members... I am afraid something in the registration process is either scaring them off or these are some form of automated device at work... Just don't know.   

I hope it isn't the former... The registration process is hardly anything different from anything else I have experienced anywhere else on the Web... right down to the "terms of service agreement"... 

But there may be a "bug" crawling about that needs a good stomping on

If anyone has difficulties please email antespam@gmail.com
Best wishes

Forum Admin

dragonser

Hi,
am I the only person who looked at the subject Title and thought it might be a discussion about selecting which stops to use ?

regards Peter B

KB7DQH

The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

revtonynewnham

Hi

But it does remind us that we can do our bit to publicize this forum!

Every Blessing

Tony

David Pinnegar

Quote from: dragonser on February 08, 2011, 03:57:25 AM
Hi,
am I the only person who looked at the subject Title and thought it might be a discussion about selecting which stops to use ?

regards Peter B

Um - I think Forum Admin must have had Voix Celestes in his head to have written that one . . .

Best wishes

David P

Barrie Davis

Im so glad it wasnt Vox Humana!!!!!

Barrie

David Pinnegar

At least Paul Carr did not have the problem the other day of registering Bach with a Voix Celestes permanently stuck on . . . .

Mind you, I'm surprised at the extent to which some organists appear to register by numbers almost irrespective of the sound . . . Piston 1 - that should be this, and Piston 2 will be this and that, and Piston 3 will be this that and another and Piston 4 will be this that and another and something else.

Registering in this way, a recitalist who I wonder possibly battles bravely with extreme deafness played something with a Vox Humana and then went onto possibly a Mozart Fantasia having forgotten that the Vox had escaped piston control . . . It was the page turner who pushed the Vox back in at an appropriate moment rather than the recitalist aborting takeoff and apologising to the audience about the vagaries of the King of Instruments before starting again . . .

Whilst some players register as though the standard organ is the norm, thank goodness such an instrument doesn't exist!

Best wishes

David P

KB7DQH

This thread is  a wonderful example of why English is such a difficult language to use "properly"...

Certainly one can "draw" parallels with the pipe organ in terms of the tonal varieties available to an organist compared to another instrument  ;) with the communications versatility that English provides
versus another language.......

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

Barrie Davis

Where was Paul playing at? Hope it wasnt my Church, as the list is growing, now 4 burst motors on the Open Wood.

Barrie

David Pinnegar

Dear Barrie

I thought that you wrote a post in response to your Urgent Help message saying that the concert had gone well after all without a hitch . . . ?

Pneumatic motors bursting sounds like the start of troubles . . . It might simply be dampness arising from condensation from sharp temperature changes or high humidity having melted the glue. I have the same problem on the bellows of the Hunter instrument here. The problem is that although the leather might not be worn, so the problem may not be significantly serious, gletting new glue to near inaccessible places is a challenge to behold . . .

However, this thread is getting (wonderfully :-) ) off topic . . . Just why do we see so many guests browsing the forum and so few members registering in comparison, let alone joining in and commenting?

Is the Organ as an instrument not worth talking about? Are the myriad of idiosyncratic instruments from here to the other side of the world so boring that they have to be silently revered?

Best wishes

David P