News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Censorship? I hope not!

Started by Colin Pykett, May 21, 2011, 11:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Pykett

TO DAVID PINNEGAR

Dear David

Recently a post appeared from Barry Williams asking that further discussion about the organ at St Bartholomew's, Crewkerne, be terminated.  From what he said, it seems that his position is supported by Tony Newnham.

David, I believe you are the owner of this forum to the best of my knowledge.  So can you please explain to the rest of us what is going on?  I joined only a matter of weeks ago and was assured that discussion here is not subject to unreasonable limitations.  That is why this is the only Internet discussion forum to which I subscribe.

I think it is reasonable to ask why we should no longer be able to discuss what seemed to me to be an entirely reasonable topic.  As I did not contribute to it, I consider myself neutral on the issue.  I suppose it is possible that certain posts might have transgressed the boundaries of what is acceptable, but if that is so, then surely the offending ones could have been removed or at least some explanation given?

Whatever the reason, can you please explain what is going on?  Although I have much respect for the two gentlemen named above, I would not want my opinions, or those of anybody else, to be subject to their views of what is proper or not without adequate explanation.  I am quite sure they would not want me to censor their views either (not that I would wish to for a moment!).

I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

All good wishes

Colin Pykett

revtonynewnham

Hi VC

Your post was a contributory factor - but not the only one, and Barry consulted me and we made the decision to lock the thread jointly.  I had been thinking that it was running into problems for a while.  With David out of the country, and a formal complaint raised we had to do something. 

Free speech is fine, and this group supports it - but with it goes the responsibility for the feelings of others.  Criticism should be positive when possible, and personal opinions should be noted as such.  I could go on at length (I am a preacher after all) but I need to go and get set up for church this morning.

Have a good day.

every Blessing

Tony

KB7DQH

"Locking" the topic in question is "hardly the end of the world"...  At this point no really new information
has been presented...

I would hope that in the future if indeed new, relevant information is received
by one or more people that one may consider reopening the topic or perhaps referring to the topic under discussion when creating a post elsewhere on the forum?

Looking at the forum stats it remains the most replied to, and more importantly, the most viewed topic currently on the forum. It certainly covers a whole lot of ground, possibly more than was really necessary ???  If only some of the other topics received as much attention ;)

Eric
KB7DQH

The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

organforumadmin

Quote from: KB7DQH on May 22, 2011, 02:46:23 PM
"Locking" the topic in question is "hardly the end of the world"...  At this point no really new information
has been presented...

I would hope that in the future if indeed new, relevant information is received
by one or more people that one may consider reopening the topic or perhaps referring to the topic under discussion when creating a post elsewhere on the forum?

. . .  If only some of the other topics received as much attention ;)

Dear Eric

Thanks for this - and as a result the topic is now exceptionally and specifically reopened for contribution by anyone from within the decision making process, which it is hoped will be helpful.

As Forum Admin, it's great to be able to rely on the wise counsel of our "Moderators" - we don't need moderation here but it's helpful from a variety of perspectives to be able to give some editorial nudges from time to time - and that particular thread has a particular purpose to it beyond the mere function of phone-ins on the local radio station.

As such, and all working to a common purpose in enthusiasm for the promotion and appreciation of The King of Instruments, I hope that we can all live together in discussions here . . . and as Eric says, it would be great if some of the other discussions might receive attention.

It's also great to see so many guests to the forum registered in the stats and it is greatly hoped that they might also join and contribute to threads too. It would be great if people lurking in the shadows might also be more forward from time to time, but in attracting a good level of guests, the forum is clearly achieving its purpose and so those contributors who contribute without replies being generated in numbers . . . it's clearly worthwhile if you can continue to do so . . .

Best wishes

Forum Admin

David Pinnegar

Quote from: Colin Pykett on May 21, 2011, 11:40:51 PMI think it is reasonable to ask why we should no longer be able to discuss what seemed to me to be an entirely reasonable topic.  As I did not contribute to it, I consider myself neutral on the issue.  I suppose it is possible that certain posts might have transgressed the boundaries of what is acceptable, but if that is so, then surely the offending ones could have been removed or at least some explanation given?

Whatever the reason, can you please explain what is going on?  Although I have much respect for the two gentlemen named above, I would not want my opinions, or those of anybody else, to be subject to their views of what is proper or not without adequate explanation.  I am quite sure they would not want me to censor their views either (not that I would wish to for a moment!).

Dear Colin

Thanks

I hope that Forum Admin has explained appropriately but a personal viewpoint seems appropriate in response here.

No censorship is going on. No posts transgressed acceptable boundaries and no-one's relevant views were censored.

I respect the viewpoint that the thread has said everything that is constructive to be said and the views expressed include all aspects of what should be a healthy debate in the circumstances within the Church administration. For the thread to have been left there where it is enables the Church to find information on the debate they should be having fairly succinctly and in keeping the topic succinct here, it might be hoped that the Church will sit up and take notice. There's a difference between a perspective of train spotters, plane buffs and organ fanatics as a load of gas bags or as a group of people who mean business. For the sake of the organ concerned, the latter reputation is preferable and we are very privileged to have the focussed guidance and professional experience of Barry as a site moderator on this.

We are also privileged to have your technical expertise on tap in this forum also!

Best wishes

David P

Colin Pykett

Thank you for these replies.  They provide the explanation which is all I was seeking.  Maybe in future if similar action is deemed necessary a few words as to why might not go amiss?  My only slight regret now is that, more serious aspects aside, a minor source of continuing entertainment has now been denied to us!

'nuff said.

Colin Pykett