News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Methodist octopod to be replaced by electronic

Started by David Pinnegar, June 17, 2012, 07:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Pinnegar

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1920s-CHURCH-PIPE-ORGAN-MADE-BY-ALFRED-MONK-LONDON-USED-See-Description-/230810901723

Perhaps it's this sort of instrument that could be much enhanced by electronic extension making it much more interesting as an instrument and providing a much better base to what otherwise will be wholly electronic

Best wishes

David P

David Drinkell

I reckon a straight clean and overhaul would make a decent little instrument.  Possibly a 4' Gemshorn instead of the Swell Open, giving a little more variety, especially as there's an octave coupler.  It would cost less than a reputable toaster.

David Pinnegar

Quote from: David Drinkell on June 18, 2012, 06:54:26 AM
I reckon a straight clean and overhaul would make a decent little instrument.  Possibly a 4' Gemshorn instead of the Swell Open, giving a little more variety, especially as there's an octave coupler.  It would cost less than a reputable toaster.

Yes . . . perhaps you might make that comment to the ebay seller? A bright 4ft can make an enormous difference to such an instrument

Best wishes

David P

matt h

Hi.

I played this little organ many years ago whilst visiting a friend of my dad's who was the minister at the chapel in question. Whilst not spectacular on paper, it speaks into a small chapel and has that charm which only a tiny organ can really achieve (although I agree with David D that a 4' on the swell would improve the tone).

Sadly this is just the sort of mentality I have come to expect from the Methodist church, so many organs replaced with electronics when the original pipe organ would be by far the better option.

Regards,
Matt.

KB7DQH

Although not to the degree of other instruments brought to the attention of this forum, it does seem to be suffering from the "hot dry air" syndrome... small cracks in soundboards and some pipes :( 

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

makemoreandmore