News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Gaumont State Kilburn Wurlitzer becomes a Church Organ

Started by David Pinnegar, October 06, 2011, 04:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Pinnegar

Hi!

It's possibly an irony of our time that churches are closing and their organs are going to rack and ruin whilst a non-ecclesiastical building with an organ becomes a church . . .

http://londoniscool.com/pictures-from-the-gaumont-state-cinema-in-kilburn

. . . with seating for 4000 and apparently standing room for another 4000 . . . !!!

Best wishes

David P

revtonynewnham

Hi

It seems that the organ may be safe - although how much use it will see in services is another matter!

every Blessing

Tony

Holditch

It's a funny old world!

Maybe future attendees of the new church will become to like or perhaps love the organ? who knows? if they give it a chance and don't just mothball it then it might just happen

Its better that than to be consigned to another organ grave stone!

Marc

Dubois is driving me mad! must practice practice practice

Holditch

I've just watched a couple of the videos on the Ruach Ministries website, I'm not entirely sure it the organ will fit in with their form of worship!

I hope I am incorrect?!?

I'm sure you can all comment on their style of worship! (I'm sorry I dont approve)

http://www.ruachministries.org.uk/home/

revtonynewnham

Hi

Just because you (or I - I've not watched the video, but I have had experience of similar churches) don't approve doesn't make their style of worship wrong, or even inferior.  Worship "in Spirit and in truth" is all that God requires - the form and pattern are more a case of enabling a specific group of people to "connect" with God and express their praise, prayer, etc.

Every Blessing

Tony

David Pinnegar

Quote from: Holditch on October 07, 2011, 10:06:11 PM
It's a funny old world!

Maybe future attendees of the new church will become to like or perhaps love the organ? who knows? if they give it a chance and don't just mothball it then it might just happen

Its better that than to be consigned to another organ grave stone!

Marc

I think that were a succession of organists to appear and demonstrate the instrument in straight mode as the King of Instruments, appreciation could grow. The nature of the worship at the church is that of awe of the almighty and being taken over by the greatness of Him and His works, induced by the experience of very loud sound levels. The organ should be able to compete. . . . .

Holditch

Hi Tony

You are completely correct, and I suppose I don't really have foundation to criticize any form of worship considering my own views and lack of faith. I will stick to the matter of the organ!

Best Regards

Marc

revtonynewnham

Quote from: David Pinnegar on October 08, 2011, 10:25:32 AM

I think that were a succession of organists to appear and demonstrate the instrument in straight mode as the King of Instruments, appreciation could grow. The nature of the worship at the church is that of awe of the almighty and being taken over by the greatness of Him and His works, induced by the experience of very loud sound levels. The organ should be able to compete. . . . .

Hi

Sadly, I doubt it - it would just be seen as "old fashioned" and irrelevant to what they would regard as today's worship music.  That's the biggest challenge that we face.  I'm hoping to find some time to write a piece on the use of the organ in contemporary worship sometime.  In the meantime, we keep mentioning the instrument's suitability and demonstrating it whenever possible.

Every Blessing

Tony

AnOrganCornucopia

I have actually met a family involved in this church. Eager to learn more, I enquired of them the nature of this organisation, and urged that the maximum be done with the organ to help preserve and promote it, and, thereby, perhaps bring people to God through the church.

Alas, my worst nightmares were confirmed. The pastor (like his late father, the founder of the organisation) is a self-proclaimed 'bishop' who claims to have prophecies and a direct-dial phone number for God. [FORUM ADMIN HAS DELETED THE REMAINDER OF THIS PARAGRAPH CONTAINING MATTERS WHICH CAN ONLY BE PUBLISHED ON THE BASIS OF SUPPORT OF WRITTEN SOURCES AND NOT HEARSAY]

I am well used to sprinkling a little salt around when considering religious matters, but it's another matter altogether when you are required to use it in industrial quantities [FORUM ADMIN HAS DELETED A SPURIOUS ANALOGY] This organisation sounds to me like a [FORUM HAS DELETED THE SPECIFIC WORDING] [paraphased as religious organisation of American origin*]. I hope that's not too rude or controversial! [FORUM ADMIN apologies for having to be brutal in editing. This is not intended as suppression of free speech.]

Worse, I see this family on a regular basis. Since they kindly explained about their church I have tried to stay out of their way for fear of making my feelings on the matter apparent. I hope they don't start wondering why I don't speak to them any more...

If nothing else, I have a sneaking respect for the pastor at the helm of this organisation - I don't like his style of fundraising but it does seem that he's got a talent for business and investments! [FORUM ADMIN has chosen not to edit this as all successful churches doing the work of God have to grasp the nettles of funding]

[* the sentiment expressed by the contributor, not the opinion of Forum Admin]

revtonynewnham

Hi

The previous post is getting a little controversial.  You may not agree with the style and way of running of the church concerned, but we do have freedom of religion in this country.

Personally, I would be more concerned about the senior pastor's spirituality (I don't know him nor where he stands theologically - this is just a general comment), and also I would want to know who had "weighed" the prophecies, as Paul requires in the New Testament:-
"Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said." (1 Cor 14:29)

Every Blessing

Tony

organforumadmin

I have had to edit AOC's post above and would prefer him to remove it as it strays far beyond the territory of the organ and thereby the bounds of this forum.

I would encourage anyone to visit the church in operation at the cinema where one witnesses a very genuine and sincere congregation: you will come away spiritually enriched even if perplexed at the abandon of conventionality, and perhaps a little deaf if without earplugs on account of the volume at which the Word of God is presented through their amplification.

As there is a Hammond B3 on stage, a leap to the Wurlitzer would be not enormous and one wishes their fundraising well to preserve a building on a stupendous scale for which otherwise an alternative economically viable use would be hard to find. If the organ can be more a feature of the worship then we are likely to see the solution to the preservation of a very important pipe instrument of its style.

Best wishes

Forum Admin

AnOrganCornucopia

My apologies for being so brutally frank. Has Admin been up there himself, do I take it? My only encounter with it, if you can call it that, was walking past it en route to St. Augustine...

Reverend Newnham, thank you very much for that little biblical quote. It is one which I did not know but it is useful to know nevertheless.

On reflection, I may have been rather harsh. Would I recognise the Messiah when he comes again, if he did so in my own lifetime? Or would I - and a large part of humanity with me - dismiss him for a lunatic, scammer or worse?

organforumadmin

Quote from: AnOrganCornucopia on December 31, 2011, 12:47:06 PM
My apologies for being so brutally frank. Has Admin been up there himself, do I take it? My only encounter with it, if you can call it that, was walking past it en route to St. Augustine...

Forum Admin has been there and intends to be welcomed there again . . . and hopes that you might also go with the family of whom you are friends especially in view of your own newfound friendship with cinema organs . . .

Upon what you find there in the religious dimension, it is up to all to experience and to make up their own mind rather than be told about something by someone else and be expected to be told what to think thereby, and therefore up to each to know for themselves rather then merely second hand through comment here.

Our purpose here is to draw attention to an important organ and to encourage its use and preservation.

Best wishes

Forum Admin

AnOrganCornucopia

My 'friendship' with theatre organs, 'new-found'? Not at all. I have merely waited a long time to find a living player who actually makes them sound musical to my ears in the way that the likes of Maclean, Torch etc did.