News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

SOS for good organ to be scrapped on 21st February

Started by David Pinnegar, February 01, 2011, 06:45:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Pinnegar

Redundant Pipe Organ - Jardine c.1900 - Platt Lane Methodist - Manchester UK - M0180

Enquiries have unfortunately not matured and the church advises that building work will commence on 21st Feb. The organ is available for parts until that date, otherwise it is, sadly, to be scrapped.

Graham Jones

Graham Jones
32 Harington Road
FORMBY
L37 1NU
Tel. 01704 876 134
BB Talk. 01704 826 475
Redundant Pipe Organ                                                    M0180

Jardine & Co c.1900

Platt Lane Methodist Church Manchester UK
Fallowfield Manchester M14 7BU

NPOR K00476

2 manuals with pedals
17 speaking stops

Tracker manual key action
Pneumatic pedal note action
(1/4 in bore lead tubing)
Mechanical stop action

Compass 30/56

Dimensions
Width   18ft
Depth    12ft
Height   20ft

Pedal
Bourdon                       16
Bass flute                      8

Great
Open Diapason            8
Stopped Diapason        8
Dulciana                       8
Principal                       4
Harmonic Flute 4
Fifteenth                       2

Swell
Lieblich Bourdon          16
Open Diapason            8
Hohl Flute                    8
Echo Gamba                8
Voix Celeste                 8          also draws Echo Gamba
Geigen Principal            4
Dulciana Mixture          II
Cornopean                   8
Oboe                           8
Tremulant                                 whole organ

Swell Octave
Swell to Great
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal

Drawstop console

Central balanced swell pedal

6 composition pedal levers

Radiating Concave pedals

Three combination pedals each to Great and Swell

2 wind reservoirs

Electric motor/blower

The 6 front pipes on each side of the console are dummies; the rest of the pipes in the display wings and the upper flat, are speaking.

The organ was brought from the Heyrod Street Mission in Ancoats in 1933 to serve the newly built church at Platt Lane. Jardine & Co of Manchester have maintained this organ since building it more than 100 years ago, and offered inter alia the following remarks after an inspection in 2008.

'The organ was built around 1900 by Jardine and Co Ltd Manchester, and installed in Platt Lane Methodist Church in 1933. It is a fine example of its type and is in original condition with all its action intact. It is however, showing signs of its age with general wear and tear. The main part of its deterioration is the pedal organ which has a pneumatic action. The original leathers have lasted well but they are now porous and in need of replacement. We have patched the odd one where we can access but the whole pedal organ and pipework require an overhaul. The second item is the fact that the organ has not been cleaned for many years, the pipework is quite dusty and there are a number of reed pipes collapsing due to broken support tapes and metal fatigue. The mechanical actions to the manuals are quite worn, the regulating buttons are of leather and perished, which makes adjustments difficult. Whilst this report does highlight a few failings, we can assure you that the organ is not going to pack up in the short term. A thorough restoration will give the organ a further 50 years of useful service.'

The church is to be refurbished and downsized in early 2011. There will then be no space for the instrument and the organ is to be replaced.

It is immediately available.

Buyer makes all arrangements for dismantling, packing and transport

Care has been taken to see that the information provided is correct but the Methodist Church Organ Advisory Service takes no responsibility for errors.

Offers and enquiries to the church contact, please.

Church Contact:
Mary Fair
Tel. 07951 785788 
Email: iandmfair at email.com

Graham Jones
32 Harington Road
FORMBY
L37 1NU
Tel. 01704 876 134
BB Talk. 01704 826 475
Email: g.mjones at btinternet.com

Jonathan Lane

We would be happy to take it and store as much as possible, but, we are fully booked with work on site until the end of March.  However, if there was someone who could at least pack the pipework, and we might be able to arrange to come up on a Sunday afternoon before starting work in Redditch.  But that does require some help.  I don't want to see it scrapped, but am currently on an 80 hour week!

Jonathan

07836 299025

revtonynewnham

Hi

Jardine organs were usually good instruments - and as the post says, this organ should be good for another 50 years with little restoration beyond what would automatically be done during the move.  If only I had space.

The real problem is that there are just too many redundant organs around at present, and not enough buyers.

Every Blessing

Tony

Holditch

Dear Jonathan

As I live in Manchester, I would be willing to give my time and lend hand with any lifting packing general dogs body stuff. I know its not much but if you need an extra set of hands I am here.

I am available for the next few weekends and in the weekeday evenings

Please PM if of any use

Marc

Dubois is driving me mad! must practice practice practice

NonPlayingAnorak

Quote from: revtonynewnham on February 01, 2011, 03:32:41 PM
Hi

Jardine organs were usually good instruments - and as the post says, this organ should be good for another 50 years with little restoration beyond what would automatically be done during the move.  If only I had space.

The real problem is that there are just too many redundant organs around at present, and not enough buyers.

Every Blessing

Tony

Tony, could you cross-post this to the Mander Forum, please?  :)

I've just posted it to the Orgue-1 mailing list, asking for help. It will just need some time - and Brian Styles' approval - before it will appear on the list.

ydrezet

Hello
I'm looking for an organ for my church (in France in Brittany near Lamballe) for a long time. I've wrote a mail to Graham Jones and Mary Fair because I want some "infos". If it's not too expensive, my church may buy it (we could find a lorry to transfert it in France).
If you have information, I accept them very gladly
Yann Drezet

NonPlayingAnorak

Excellent! Here's hoping this organ does have a future...

revtonynewnham

Hi

Good news from another forum this morning:-

"UPDATE - 10th February 2011
Thanks to Tony's efforts to publicise this case, and the good sense and generosity of the people at Platt Lane Methodist Church (which is being rebuilt and changed in a dramatic way) a home has been found for the vast majority of the pipework of the Jardine instrument described above. Sadly we were not able to enjoy the pipework before it came out because practically every note was cyphering by that point. Mind you, builders have been at work on site for some time now; the original church part of the building now contains only the organ and staging upon which it stood.

I went with a (famous player) friend and his wife yesterday and between us we managed to save everything we considered fit for reuse. I am due to install for him (with his help) a house organ of some twenty or so stops, and several of the Jardine ranks will come in very handy to 'develop' and enhance the instrument we have already arranged to adopt.

Everyone we met at Platt Lane was both kind and helpful. It was a pleasure to be able to rescue an instrument that is not being wantonly thrown out and about which several church people still obviously cared."

Still a pity that the church didn't try to find a way to incorporate the organ in their new development!  At least it's not a total loss.

Every Blessing

Tony