News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Key date switch for popular player Clive (Sledmere House, near Driffield:)

Started by KB7DQH, May 31, 2012, 12:06:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KB7DQH

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/Key-date-switch-popular-player-Clive/story-16086597-detail/story.html

QuoteA STATELY home pulled out the stops when a resident organist was unable to play his regular recitals.

For more than 20 years, Clive Barnby, 85, has entertained visitors by playing the famous pipe organ at Sledmere House, near Driffield.

​Maestro: Clive Barnby, right, and Sir Tatton Sykes at the organ in Sledmere House. Picture: Simon Kench

Maestro: Clive Barnby, right, and Sir Tatton Sykes at the organ in Sledmere House. Picture: Simon Kench

But a kidney illness means he has to receive dialysis treatment three days a week, including the Wednesday recital day.

Now, the owners of the country house have changed it to Thursday so the organist can continue to play his popular music.

Hull-born Mr Barnby, of Bridlington, said: "I was delighted when first asked to play the organ at Sledmere House about 20 years ago.

"It is a wonderful pipe organ and I have really enjoyed giving the recitals but the dialysis at Bridlington Hospital meant I could not go on the normal Wednesday.

"I was very disappointed. The country house had almost become a second home to me but my treatment had to come first.

"Then the recital day was changed to Thursday for my benefit, which is brilliant because I can continue to play the organ once a month."

Retired architect Mr Barnby, who worked for well-known practice Francis Johnson & Partners in Bridlington, is one of several organists who play at Sledmere House. House secretary Sarah Flather said Mr Barnby was very well thought of by the owners, staff and visitors.

She said: "We have a very fine pipe organ for a stately home and people love to come and listen to it being played.

"Clive has been ill recently but is now a lot better and wanted to continue playing the organ. However, it clashed with his treatment.

"Now the change of date for the recitals from Wednesday to Thursday means he can continue to entertain our visitors.

"Clive is very popular with everybody and I'm delighted he is still visiting us to play the organ."

Sledmere House is the home of baronet Sir Tatton Sykes, whose late father Sir Richard regularly played the organ, which is reputed for the quality of its tone and sound.

Mr Barnby, who also plays the organ at All Saints Church, Rudston, near Driffield, said he had always been interested in organ and church music.

He started as a boy chorister at St Mary's Church, Lowgate, Hull, in 1937, before being appointed organist at St Cuthbert's Church in Marlborough Avenue in 1941.

He said: "I was 15 at the time but never got to play at the church because it was bombed in the Blitz two weeks after my appointment."

He played the organ at St Michael's and All Angels Church in Hull, and St John's Church, Newland, before moving to Bridlington in 1953.

Mr Barnby said: "I will continue playing for as long as I can, especially at Sledmere House.

"It is so friendly and homely and Sir Tatton and his staff are very happy with what I do there."

People can next hear Mr Barnby play at Sledmere House on Thursday from 1.30pm to 3.30pm.

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."