News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

John Clark Maxwell, Hammerwood Park, Sunday 6th March 4pm

Started by NonPlayingAnorak, December 12, 2010, 07:06:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NonPlayingAnorak

Hello all!

David hasn't managed to announce this except on the Hammerwood website - http://www.hammerwood.mistral.co.uk/concerts.htm#organs - so thought I'd mention it instead. It's 4PM on the big toaster in the Elgin Room... I've emailed Stephen at organrecitals.com, but unfortunately he's put up the listing under the name of the young recitalist's famous ancestor James Clerk Maxwell!

David Pinnegar

Dear Richard

Many thanks for this. I had added the concert to the website a few days ago and, thanks to you, sent a correction in to www.organrecitals.com. I have also asked Stephen to post John's Biog there as this is an organist likely to be worth following: Jeremy Filsell sent me a note saying that John C-M's recital should be good . . . He's clearly destined for great things.

I will put the heating on tomorrow to start to warm up the room again. (Of course were the instrument to be a real toaster I wou'd need to do that . . . !  ;D ) However, one of my sons reports rumours that snow might be expected at the end of the week, in which case we'll be cancelling the concert. For that reason it's vital to ring 01342 850594 to let us know that you're coming and also in the case of doubt as to weather.

Best wishes

David P

John Clark-Maxwell attended St. George's Windsor preparatory school, where he took up the organ with Christopher Hughes. He won a music scholarship to Eton College, where he learns organ with David Goode; he is also an adacemic scholar there. He has participated in masterclasses with Jacques van Oortmerssen, David Sanger, William Whitehead and Clive Driskill-Smith, amongst others. He plays the organ regularly with for services in Eton, Dorney, and his home town of Newbury, and has played in concert on the organs of St. George's Windsor, St. Catharine's Cambridge, and St. Mary Redcliffe, Bristol. He has a particular love of the organ music of Bach, Reger and Messiaen (having given the complete L'Ascension in Eton College Chapel last year). John also plays the violin and the piano, and sings in the chapel choir. In his spare time he enjoys reading literature, playing squash and going to concerts.

David Pinnegar

Hi!

We're hoping the weather permits . . .

The recital should be good, not only from the musical point of view with a top young performer but also because I have sorted out, I hope, a technical problem with the auditorium acoustics.

I'm very used to rude and negative comments in my attempts to put the organ repertoire onto the concert platform, with jibes left right and centre about the instrument and the acoustics -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD9FFPhyRd4
even though this might be on account of the directionality of the recording microphones.

However, hopefully on this occasion, I think it's now right . . . !

So we look forwrad to seeing people on Saturday. It would be great to phone us 01342 850594 to let us know you're coming and also to check on weather conditions on the day.

Best wishes

David P

David Pinnegar

Hi!

Sorry - it's a dusting of snow on sheet ice and the drive as well as the public roads are sheet ice. It's not going to thaw till late next week.

Best wishes

David P

David Pinnegar

Hi!

Sunday 6th March 4pm - please phone 01342 850594 to reserve seats:
Reger Introduction and Passacaglia
Bach o Lamm Gottes
Messiaen L'Ascension

Interval

Bach Toccata and Fugue in D Minor
Brahms 3 chorale preludes
Healey Willan Introduction Passacaglia and Fugue

Best wishes

David P

KB7DQH

I have a copy of Scott Dettra playing the Willan piece on the Skinner organ at the National Cathedral in Washington DC...

The recording as "seen" on Youtube is likely from the same "source" material but poorly uploaded for whatever reason...  Likely the dynamic is just too much if one isn't careful about paying attention to upload audio levels-- a real pity as it is such a beautiful piece...

Maybe you can convince John to try the self-destruct during a rehearsal and record it separate from the concert?  Oh what fun ;) 

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

David Pinnegar

Hi!

This concert should be superb . . . ! It would be great if people might be able to reserve seats before the day . .. 

Best wishes

David P

QuoteSunday 6th March 4pm - please phone 01342 850594 to reserve seats:Reger Introduction and Passacaglia
Bach o Lamm Gottes
Messiaen L'Ascension

Interval

Bach Toccata and Fugue in D Minor
Brahms 3 chorale preludes

Healey Willan Introduction Passacaglia and Fugue