News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Single manual Victorian gem

Started by David Pinnegar, June 03, 2011, 03:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Pinnegar

barniclecompton

Just six pipes...........how would the organist cope ;) lol

KB7DQH

:( No pictures of what lies inside the case...  I'm curious as to the chest/rackboard layout... key action, etc...  Room for a second manual? I agree the case is certainly nothing to write home about, but for someone looking for a practice organ, it could be a bargain...

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

revtonynewnham

Quote from: Voix Cynique on June 05, 2011, 12:42:43 AM
I remember encountering an organ like this a few years back. God, it was dull, even in the most capable of hands. It's rubbish like this that gives the organ as a whole a bad name. I dare say it could offer some organbuilder a bit of decent pipework, but the case isn't pretty enough to appeal (for any use): it will end up going to the dump, along with such instruments as Casson's squeezeboxes... It always struck me as a pity that the eminently sensible and capable Casson restricted himself largely to his Positive organs, even if they made him money.

Hi

Small organs were a big market segment in the Victorian era - following the ideas of the Oxford Movement and other influences, there was a vast upsurge in church building - and in those days the organ building to go with it.

Inevitably, small organs are limited - but in the hands of a capable player can produce remarkable results - witness the reopening recital on the c.1820 5-stop single manual no swell box instrument here.  Andrew Teague (Bradford Cathedral) found some very interesting sounds that even those of us who had known the organ for a few years hadn't thought of!  Even Casson's small organs had their place - a place filled these days by the budget electronics.  I somehow suspect the pipes sound better in most cases - and certainly lasted longer. 

Part of the art of the organist is to make the very best of whatever instrument (s)he is playing at the time - not to always wish for something else.

Every Blessing

Tony

barniclecompton

I think alot of people forget that the main job of the organ in a church was to accompany hymns, that was the job it was there to do. Anything extra was almost "luxury"!

Barry Williams

I do wonder if this somewhat public criticism of an identifiable church, (I found which church it was from the Internet,) is wise on a public forum such as this.  All of us have great sympathy with the circumstances, but it might be better expressed in terms that would not lead to its identification.  It may well be advisable to consider modifying the post.

Barry Williams

Barrie Davis

On the subject of small organs I found this little gem which I could play for ages, the stop list may look limited but it certainly does the job it was designed for. Tibberton (SO9057)

Barrie

Colin Pykett

In the last analysis, it's entirely up to individual contributors as to what risks they are willing to take when writing about organs.  However I do incline towards Barry Williams's cautionary suggestion, made by one who knows the law much better than most of us here I suspect.  Although, clearly, "an organ isn't capable of bringing libel or slander charges", that does not apply to those who are associated with it.

Innocently and in good faith (or so I thought) I once wrote an article in an organ magazine about the attributes of various types of instrument.  Yet both myself and the publishers were taken to task by an organ builder who considered it 'defamatory', even though he was not mentioned in it!  For good measure he also thought it would 'damage his business'.   This firm was of a size whose means to fight an action would probably dwarf those of the publisher concerned, and certainly mine.

Unless they have ample means and simply enjoy the arcane pleasures of civil action, most ordinary people would be well advised to be careful what they write nowadays.  As well as my story just alluded to, similar but higher-profile examples exist which give food for thought.  One is the fairly recent case of the scientific journalist Simon Singh who lost an expensive libel action brought by the chiropractic profession.  I believe it was the PROFESSION, note, not an individual, which took him to court.  He had to take the most almighty risk of appealing the judgement, but (fortunately for him) won. 

It would be simple for any solicitor to discover the true identity of any anonymous poster here should they be so inclined and then to pursue an action.  The forum itself, its owner and moderators could in theory be in the firing line also.

Be careful.  The risks are unnecessary anyway, because one can make a point as assertively as necessary without going anywhere near libel.

Colin Pykett

Barry Williams

"I haven't criticised any church. I've criticised the odd organ, one of which I've named and the rest of which, I dare say, you could deduce the identies of, but an organ isn't capable of bringing libel or slander charges as far as I know! Organeria Español are long gone, too. I must add the disclaimer that my experience of the organ at Valle de los Caidos was back in the mid-1990s, when I was but a small boy. The instrument has since been largely destroyed in a terrorist attack. "

I intended my comments to apply to your easily identifiable remarks about a church in Surrey, rather than the post above.  Voix Cynique made two posts on 6th June and I attached my comments to the wrong one!  I apologise for that, but nevertheless do suggest he reconsiders the other posting, particularly in the light of Colin's very wise comments.

There are people around who search Boards such as this and extract details, often misquoting them for mischeivous ends.  I had this happen to me on the Mander Invision Board when a rather sad individual (now no longer a member of that Board) tried to misquote me about electronic organs to a very reputable supplier.  I know the managing director of the electronic company quite well and he told me what had happened.  thus I was able to put the quote right (it had been materially altered) and no problem arose. It is but one example of the type of thing that can easily happen.  Others have had difficulty (not with this Board but elsewhere,) when complaining about their clergy, only to find that their intemperate posts were printed off and referred to in the course of a formal warning.  I agree with Colin.  Be careful.  The risks are unnecessary and one can indeed make points very assertively without getting near defamation or anything like it.

Barry Williams

Voix Cynique:  Do, please, re-word that other post.  You have made very valid points which we are all in sympathy with, but it is too close too home. 

Kind regards, 

Barry

Jonathan Lane

Actually, I would much rather have one or two beautifully voiced ranks of pipes than a large organ.  There are some stops which you can play on for ever without getting bored.  Size isn't important, but voicing is, as has been discussed elsewhere in respect of electronic organs.  Most pipework can have its voicing adjusted to make it very useful and I see no reason that this organ couldn't, even if it needed it.  I haven't heard it, as long as I know it already sounds beautiful.  The single manual Walker I played while doing my ARCO, also mentioned elsewhere sounded fantastic!

Jonathan