News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Eastbourne 8th June Hastings 11th June D'Arcy Trinkwon

Started by David Pinnegar, June 06, 2011, 03:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Pinnegar

D'Arcy writes:

On Wednesday 8th I will be at Eastbourne United Reformed Church playing a big virtuoso programme on the large 3-manual organ which offers lots of scope for colour aural excitement.

In addition to more familiar virtuoso composers (Bach, Liszt, Saint-Saens, Widor etc), there are more unusual works both inspired by the idea of jazz: Harold Britton's (one of the UK's distinguished senior organists, himself a great jazz player) colourful variations on Gershwin's "I Got Rhythm"  and also Jean Berveiller's Cadence, a work written to demonstrate Jeanne Demessieux's extraordinary pedal technique (both she and he were avid jazz enthusiasts!). I am also including Vierne's exquisite portrait of "Naiades" - one of the most beautiful works in the repertoire. Who knows, one may even appear from the Eatbourne marina... 

The console is in full view, so those fascinated to watch the hans and feet will be able to do so.

On following Saturday 11th I will be playing something about as different as can be imagined: the restored Snetzler organ now in Hastings Unitarian Church. Of Swiss origin, Snetzler (1710-1785) built a number of organs in the UK - including larger instruments in Buckingham Palace, and churches from Beverley to Kings Lyn, Sheffield to Bristol.

The Hastings Snetzler is a chamber instrument of the type that would be seen in the drawing room of a great Georgian house. The music that can be played on this type of instrument is quite specific, the more intimate sound showing a very different experience of organ repertoire: I have chosen what I hope will be a delightful selection of period pieces.

Wednesday 8th June: 7.30pm
St Andrew's United Reformed Church, Eastbourne
Blackwater Road, Eastbourne, BN21 4NG

GUILMANT: March on a theme of Handel, Op.15 No.2
SMART: Andante No.1 in A
J. S. BACH: Prelude & fugue in G, BWV541
LISZT: Symphonic Poem "Orpheus"  (arr. Guillou)
IRELAND: Capriccio

Interval

BRITTON: Variations on "I Got Rhythm"
VIERNE: Naiades, Op.55 No.4
BERVEILLER: Cadence (Etude de Concert)
SAINT-SAENS: Fantaisie in Db, Op.1
WIDOR: Finale from Symphonie No.6 in G minor, Op.42 No.2

3 manual, 52 stop organ. Console in full view. Details:  http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=N15690

ADMISSION £10 - tickets available at the door  Enquiries: cobboldcollins@aol.com

Saturday 11th June: 7pm (7, not 7.30!)
Hastings Unitarian Church
South Terrace, Hastings, TN34 1SA

GREENE: Voluntary in C minor
GREENE: Voluntary in Eb
HANDEL: Voluntary in C
HANDEL: Voluntary on a Flight of Angels
HINE: Flute Piece
HANDEL: Fugue in B minor
WALOND: Cornet Voluntary in G

Interval

BERG: Voluntary in D
STANLEY: Voluntary Op.6 No.4 in F
MOZART: Pieces from The London Sketchbook, K.15
S. WESLEY: Air & Gavotte; A Scrap
ARNE: Rule Britania & Two Variations (arr. S. Wesley)
ARNE: Allegro in C (from Concerto No.1)

Historic Snetzler organ recently rebuilt by Matthew Copley: http://www.matthew-copley.co.uk/portfolio12.htm
A book on the history and rebuild of the organ has recently been published. For more information visit: www.larksdw.co.uk

ENTRANCE £10 - tickets available at the door / Enquiries/reservations for the recital: bhick1066@aol.com