News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

The Barony Organ, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow

Started by KB7DQH, October 13, 2010, 07:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KB7DQH

I am surprised nobody in the UK on this list mentioned this instrument...

http://www.strath.ac.uk/music/thebaronyorgan/

Pretty  Cool, huh...

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

revtonynewnham

Hi

Yes, an interesting instrument, but pretty limited in scope though for much after Bach (27 note pedals & 4 octave manuals - see the stop list either on the University web site or NPOR).

Every Blessing

Tony

dragonser

Hi,
from the specifications on the web page.
" 1 Tremulant      1 Cimbelstern     1 Vogelgeschrei   1 Kalcantenzug  4 Sperrventile
1 Windlasser

Temperament: Neidhard "
well I know what the Tremulant and Cimbelstern are [ at least I think I know what they are ! ]
not sure about the other features mentioned . anyone care to explain ?

regards Peter B

NonPlayingAnorak

Quote from: KB7DQH on October 13, 2010, 07:29:27 PM
I am surprised nobody in the UK on this list mentioned this instrument...

http://www.strath.ac.uk/music/thebaronyorgan/

Pretty  Cool, huh...

Eric
KB7DQH

'Scuse me, but "University of Strathclyde, Edinburgh"?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(

Edinburgh's big river estuary is the Firth of Forth (Firth for estuary, Forth being the name of the river). Strathclyde refers to the River Clyde, which, I think you'll find, flows in the opposite direction to the Forth, through... GLASGOW!

;D

David Pinnegar

;) The confusion is hardly surprising as Edinburgh has been in the news with a new organ in recent years at the Metropolitan Cathedral. 32fts and a Septieme too . . . !

Long live the Scottish pipe fanciers!

Best wishes

David P

KB7DQH

I hereby stand corrected :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

1 Vogelgeschrei   1 Kalcantenzug  4 Sperrventile

Having no formal education in "Deutch"... Vogelgeschrei-- shrieking bird.  Heard this one in an organ piece awhile back on the radio. Not expecting it I thought something horrible had happened to the audio system :o  until it stopped, and the announcer explained ;D

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

NonPlayingAnorak

Quote from: David Pinnegar on October 19, 2010, 10:32:37 PM
;) The confusion is hardly surprising as Edinburgh has been in the news with a new organ in recent years at the Metropolitan Cathedral. 32fts and a Septieme too . . . !

Long live the Scottish pipe fanciers!

Best wishes

David P

Indeed so, and I was aware of that project from its very earliest days, as the builder of the organ is a close friend of my family... sadly, the Catholic hierarchy was none too pleased about the new organ and the Monsignor who oversaw the project took a massive heart attack and died just as the organ was being finished - he was in a hotel following a football match overseas on a Sunday and was going back to Britain to face the metaphorical firing-squad on the Monday!

[Prejudicial comments removed].. oh, and the Cathedral architects kept making ever more ridiculous demands of the organ-builder, so the handsome modern Gothic 32ft front that would have kept all three West windows unobscured had to make way for a much shallower, truly hideous Modernist monstrosity of a case that totally obscures two and a half of the three West windows...

KB7DQH

Just remembered ??? ::) :o ;D 8)

The "Studio Acusticum" organ under construction in Sweden will utilize "sperrventiles" also.
They have a Youtube video demonstrating this contraption... Allows the organist to adjust the wind pressure to almost nothing... and back to normal...

And a link:http://acusticumorgan.com/articles/38-sperrventile-demo

Eric
KB7DQH