News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

New organ for Taize

Started by hector17, April 14, 2010, 07:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hector17

My wife and I paid a visit to Taize today to do the Taize experience, and more importantly to try their new organ out. For me it has always been somewhat irksome that the organ (Gonzales catalogue job) was never played in all the times we visited. It was explained to us that the organ was not that good, and had also reacted badly to the fast-blow heating system, fast becoming unreliable. I also understand that it's tonal side was less than pleasant, and at complete variance with the Taize-style of music. The decision to have the new organ was made when the heating system was replaced with a new under-floor system, and the new instrument was built by Grenzing of Spain. I think that it was with some trepidation that the Brothers made the decision to replace the organ. Finding something to fulfill a constantly changing role was never going to be easy, especially as they had made do with guitars, keyboards etc for some years, so finding a niche for the use of the organ is still something they are coming to terms with, after all - some people view Taize music as an 'organ free zone'.

What of the organ? Firstly, you can visit the builder's website for details - spec etc. I loved it, epecially as you can register horizontally with increasing warmth as you pile on the modest number of foundations. The Sub coupler also adds a lot of depth without loss of clarity. There is an either/or system with the stops which allows all the stops with the exception of the Fourniture and the Montre to be assigned to either manual I or II. This system, used in conjunction with the sub coupler, and the rather natty II/I treble and II/I bass allows a large number of interesting combinations. The Pedal Basson (the website it says Bombarde douce) is more of a modest Posaune and fits well under the plenum.

I have assumed that the console appointments have rather been dictated by the available space for the organist (not much!). All the stops are above the console (similar to the Dutch style) - and I was somewhat glum when I saw these. However, nothing has been missed, and they are all within easy reach and move up and down (three positions I/Off/II). Quick stop changes are easily made and I quite liked the arrangement.

I enjoyed playing the organ very much indeed, and having seen the stoplist prior, it rather screamed to me that it was limiting with it's mutations and classical bent. However, it is truly a cunning little instrument with huge presence. It has a big sound when everything is going as I has a vast space to fill - and the vast scale of the pedal Soubasse is testament to the need for the organ to cut the mustard.

It is really pleasing to see that Taize hasn't completely eschewed the organ. I think they are trying to work out how it is going to be used, and I can certainly understand their caution. It is also heartening to learn that three of the community play the organ (two Dutch one English) and really appreciate it's presence.

If anyone is in the Taize/Cluny area, drop them an email - they are really friendly and happy for the organ to be played.

I do hope that I haven't dropped any clangers with our esteemed moderators in this post.

Hector

NonPlayingAnorak

It's a pity they haven't gone further, abandoning their worshippery rhymes and their hideous aircraft hangar church building... if only the money could be found to move the community to Cluny and rebuild the stupendous Abbey there, where Plainsong would rule and dignified Norman architecture would instill a sense of awe and wonder in all visitors... and that's coming from a teenager! Listen, Bishops and Cardinals, we want our Latin and Gregorian chant back, along with incense and bells and suchlike...

revtonynewnham

Hi

I don't know about the church building - and really, buildings aren't that important - the church is the people of God, but Taize isn't about restoring the past of the RC church - and nor should it be! 

As to the Taize chant, firstly, it's a style of its own, not a replacement or anything else, and it can be very effective.  I've just returned from the annual Baptist assembly in Plymouth.  Mostly, the worship is led by a band, and consists mainly of contemporary songs, with a few older ones and hymns thrown in - and every session is "blended" in style.  (I have no problem with that - although I do wish they'd reintroduce an organ to the mix!)  However, this year, the Saturday evening session, which focused on world mission, used exclusively Taize  and a little "world church" music - and in conjunction with the structure of the rest of the evening, it was a very effective time of worship.  I was surprised, as, although I use some Taize songs at times (not too frequently) I've had reservations about devoting a whole service to this style (and I'm still not sure how it would work in my churches if I should try it).

We do need to be careful about letting our personal likes and dislikes limit our vision of what God can do through the many styles of music that He has inspired people to write over the centuries.

Every Blessing

Tony

NonPlayingAnorak

Tony, on an intellectual level, you are entirely right. If only things were so simple on the ground in the Catholic church... the mere mention of the words 'Plainsong' and 'Latin' has seen me ostracised from several churches, while the banal tunes of Taizé rule supreme, along with the similarly banal work of a clique of British 'composers', including the dreaded Paul Inwood... I don't care what inspiration there is behind the music, if the music itself is utterly mediocre, it is not fit to give praise to Almighty God. Much the same goes for architecture: John Loughborough Pearson, a devout High Churchman, said that the question to ask oneself on entering a church was not 'Is it admirable, is it beautiful?' but 'Does it send you on your knees?' Of St Michael's, West Croydon, he said, 'this is a place for real worship'. Ugly architecture does not uplift the soul that bit closer to God, and so it is unfit for Christian worship.

revtonynewnham

Hi

There is a danger in thinking that only "art" music is good enough for use in worship.  Maybe in an ideal world, that would be true, but in the real world, it only serves to alienate many people, and get in the way of their worship.  I don't see this as an either/or thing, but as a both/and.  There is room for all styles of music and patterns of worship in the Christian church - God only requires that we worship "in spirit and in truth", and that our offerings are made to the best of our ability - which does mean that whatever musical style is used, the musician(s) need to prepare and practice (and to work at improving their technique, etc).  Taize music actually needs a lot of skill to be performed well - and the simplicity an repetitiveness of the tunes is part of the ethos behind them.

I hesitate to comment on architecture - I'm no expert.  As a Baptist Minister, I'm well aware that many of our churches are plain - sometimes downright ugly.  Historically, there has been opposition to anything other than plain walls (IMHO an over-reaction to the perceived excesses of the Catholic church and the puritanism of former generations).  Thankfully, in some quarters this is now changing - and not before time.  I enjoy great architecture and visiting churches of all denominations, but without being put to use by the church (the people of God) it remains just stones or bricks and mortar.  Great architecture is not essential for the worship of God, and nor is great music (after all, the early church had neither!)  But both can be helpful, but must not become ends in themselves.

Every Blessing

Tony

KB7DQH

An interesting blog...

http://lifeinburgundy.blogspot.com/2010/06/organs-of-taize.html

Especially if you are visiting the area and seeking accomodations....
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

David Pinnegar

Quote from: hector17 on April 14, 2010, 07:39:17 AMThe Sub coupler also adds a lot of depth without loss of clarity. There is an either/or system with the stops which allows all the stops with the exception of the Fourniture and the Montre to be assigned to either manual I or II. This system, used in conjunction with the sub coupler,

Sounds like an excellently versatile and useful system. Perhaps this has been an inspiration from the electronic side of the chinese wall . . . and certainly on my concert instrument the ability to reallocate certain banks of stops from manual to manual is so very useful.

Quoteand the rather natty II/I treble and II/I bass allows a large number of interesting combinations.

:-) On a small instrument, divided keyboards are so helpful. I played Villefranche (Grinda 1790) on Sunday and then heard Olivier Vernet at L'Escarene (Grinda 1792) in the afternoon. I found these organs, which really should have divided keyboards being 1 manual, limiting - Couperin with Tierce en Taille, or demanding Petit Jeu with a Cromorne tune are really impossible - the only availability in this style being the Cornet - so they really need careful handling and a performer who can sustain the audience with total Grand Jeu throughout a piece. . . Olivier Vernet did brilliantly and the recordings by Claudine Grisi and Rene Saorgin are worth buying.

QuoteI do hope that I haven't dropped any clangers with our esteemed moderators in this post.

Moderators? What moderators? Moderation is not allowed as far as enthusiasm for the organ is concerned . . . Hope to hear more accounts of interesting organs such as this . . .

Best wishes

David P

revtonynewnham

Hi

I agree re. the divided manuals issue - even on a 2 manual it can add extra flexibility - with a it of thought and juggling pitches you can have a virtul 4 manual!

The stop arrangement where astop can be drawn on either of 2 manuals is rare - but not unknown on small tracker instruments.  It can only be implemented where all the stops concerned are on a common soundboard, and again is a means of adding flexibility to a small organ.  It's a viable option - at the other extreme is http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=E01520 - designed specifically to accompany the current RC liturgy - man 2 (1 stop) accompanies the Cantor and Man 1 the congregation.

Every Blessing

Tony