News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

http://www.youtube.com/user/btengraving#p/a/u/1/c6rcvO83TSE

Started by makemoreandmore, March 05, 2012, 12:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

makemoreandmore

A young organist in Australia who wants his music to be "a direct link for listeners, from the King of Instruments to the King of Kings".   :)

Barrie Davis

Barrie Davis

Excellent, good to hear the Town Hall organ in full voice.

makemoreandmore

David Drinkell

I'm sure I'm about to reveal embarrassing ignorance, but what piece is he playing?  Sounds like fun....

Janner

Quote from: David Drinkell on March 06, 2012, 12:47:22 AM
I'm sure I'm about to reveal embarrassing ignorance, but what piece is he playing?  Sounds like fun....

Toccata by William Driffill. There is another link here, played by Minne Veldman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHfz7Lkk8Vw

Have just ordered a copy.

J.

makemoreandmore

Doesn't it sound fun?!

There is a MIDI file of it for the lazy at http://www.bardon-music.com/music.php?id=BE00301-3&lang=en&curr=eur

Am I infringing copyright by pasting this from another forum? :-

Janet replies,
He was my grandfather, born in 1875 in Dunstable, Bedfordshire. The only son of William and Maria (nee Potter), has father owned a thriving plumbing business in Dunstable. He was a student at the Royal Academy of Music where he recieved various medals for his playing and composition. He then became organist for the parish church of Monken Hadley, Hertfordshire, where he also undertook to tutor private students, conucted choirs as well as composing and performing concerts throughout the south of England. He was often accompanied by his cousin Frederick Gostelow.</P>

He married Kate Prior in 1908 and his eldest daughter was born in 1914.</P>

He died suddenly in 1922 from pneumonia, 6 months before my mother was born. The family went into shocked, prolonged mourning and all his music was put away until my aunt died in 1998. My mother inherited the boxes but did nothing with them. I have them now, they include a lot of parlour songs as well as, church music and some unfinished manuscripts.</P>

I had never heard any of his music until I found a recording by Jan Klaus Muller of his Toccata, and I have only just found some new pieces performed by Bardon Music. I would be really pleased to hear more of his compositions played, there do seem to be quite a few published scores out there as well as the onesI have. It is only down to the internet that I have been able to find out more about him, it is a shame that my mother did not live to hear his work but if more people played his pieces in public then his talents would become more well known. They may not all be great works but I think they deserve more promotion

KB7DQH

Saw the following concert announcement:http://www.mudgeeguardian.com.au/news/local/news/general/13yearold-organist-to-play-at-st-johns-in-mudgee/2541569.aspx?storypage=1

Quote13-year-old organist to play at St John's in Mudgee
ANIKA HUME
02 May, 2012 09:06 AM

He's a classical music virtuoso, having already mastered the pipe organ, cello and piano, he has his sights set on playing some of the most famous organs in Europe before the year's out – and he's just 13-years old.

This Sunday, May 6, from 2.30pm, patrons of St John's Anglican Church will witness the talent of young Stephen Aveling-Rowe as he performs a special concert with the simple aim of delighting and inspiring his audience.

An accomplished performer on the "King of Instruments", Stephen will play organ works by well-known composers as well as famous tunes from some lesser names.

He will also play on cello a selection of melodies from Baroque through to 20h century music, accompanied on the piano by his mother, Merilyn Aveling-Rowe.

While Stephen has never played in Mudgee before, he said he expected it would be "wonderful fun".

"I've seen the building and the organ and it looks like it should be fantastic," he said.

"The organ's got a three manual mechanical action which makes me very happy.

"When they're mechanical, you can play the pipes instead of having a switch play them and you open the valves yourself and get other sounds you wouldn't always get out of it simply by the way you press the keys."

Stephen's concert in regional Mudgee will be a far cry from some of his more recent public performances, including several at the Sydney Opera House, as well as one particularly memorable gig at the Sydney Town Hall.

"They let me have the 64 foot stop on towards the end – there's only two in the world and they play at around eight pulses per second," he said.

"It doesn't sound like a note so much as a rumble – it was magnificent."

Stephen will continue his quest to play some of the world's most "magnificent" pipes this September, when he travels to Europe to play medieval organs in Switzerland, Baroque organs in Germany, English organs in London and "Bach's organ" in St Thomas Church in Lertzig.

"Bach wanted this organ made but it never got built until quite recently when they found the specifications in old church records," Stephen explained.
"It's a gorgeous organ and just what Bach wanted for himself, so I can't wait to play it."

Stephen's visit to Mudgee has been organised in collaboration with the Mudgee Christian Education Association supporting a Special Religious Education Teacher at Mudgee High School.

Although the concert is free, any donations on entry will be divided between this local project and fundraising for Stephen's trip to Europe.

"The whole idea of the concert is simply to inspire people to learn the organ, especially young people," Stephen said.

"Hopefully I can offer some people some time out that will relax and energise them."

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."