News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Lots of pipes!

Started by Holditch, June 09, 2011, 06:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holditch

You know you have lost the plot when you find this sort of thing highly exciting!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pipe-organ-ranks-swell-engines-direct-electric-chests-/130531275598?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Keyboard_RL&hash=item1e6445334e

I seem to have same the attitude to collecting various organ parts as a squirrel does to nuts! if only I had the space

Marc
Dubois is driving me mad! must practice practice practice

David Pinnegar

Quote from: Holditch on June 09, 2011, 06:29:30 PMI seem to have same the attitude to collecting various organ parts as a squirrel does to nuts!

. . . and you're hoping that someone will relieve you of the temptation!

:)

Best wishes

David P

Holditch

yes please!

The thin Viol D'orchestra look very interesting indeed. I've never seen anything that small scale before.

Bah! my wife would divorce me
Dubois is driving me mad! must practice practice practice

David Pinnegar

Quote from: Holditch on June 09, 2011, 10:09:59 PM
yes please!

The thin Viol D'orchestra look very interesting indeed. I've never seen anything that small scale before.

Bah! my wife would divorce me

It's what I thought too when the Londonderry instrument arrived in our front hall. I thought it was the biggest mistake I'd made in my life!

:-) It's wonderful to know that this forum is not just an organ rescue home, overflow of organic enthusiasms, philosophical sounding board but marriage counselling service into the bargain!

However, don't get tempted. The problem with thin pipes is that they're inherently unstable and more difficult to voice . . . £20 so far - but space will cost a fortune

Intruiguingly however, the thin Viol d'Orchestre was the way of achieving brightness in instruments without choruswork - excellent on small instruments and I'm sure that the move towards the Octopod was caused by the dissonance of equal temperament.

Best wishes

David P

Barrie Davis

Hi

I think from memory the Hope Jones Viol has been retained on the Solo at Worcester Cathedral. The pipes are of such a small scale they have to be supported to avoid them collapsing.

Barrie

Colin Pykett

A very entertaining thread!

"You know you have lost the plot when you find this sort of thing highly exciting!"

Yes, I know what you mean.  I have accepted for many years that I am at least two bricks short of a wall.

"Bah! my wife would divorce me"

Don't tempt providence.  Some while ago a friend showed me the 'grounds for divorce' petition served on him by his wife.  His organ interests were the first item on the list of 'unreasonable behaviours'.  However the upside is that he's since never been happier!

"I think from memory the Hope Jones Viol has been retained on the Solo at Worcester Cathedral. The pipes are of such a small scale they have to be supported to avoid them collapsing"

All true.  The longest pipes are encased in wooden surrounds.  CC (8 foot C) is only about one inch (2.54 cm) in diameter.

"the thin Viol d'Orchestre was the way of achieving brightness in instruments without choruswork - excellent on small instruments"

I wouldn't recommend it for this purpose myself.  I hope my friends down there in Devon will not mind too much when I say that the swell viol on the Hope-Jones organ at Pilton is excruciating to my ears, as I remain eternally grateful for their forbearance when I pestered them about their fascinating instrument.  But I can be rude to myself without apologising by saying that, somewhat to my regret, my digital simulation of it turned out exactly the same.  You can hear it (the simulation) where the viol is solo-ed at various points in:

http://www.colinpykett.org.uk/Melody2_Fox.mp3

Most others who have tried it have come to the same conclusion (including Tony Newnham.  I knew from the expression on his face that he formed that view very quickly but was too polite to come out with it directly!)

Best

Colin Pykett