News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Martin Setchell in England

Started by David Pinnegar, June 09, 2011, 11:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Pinnegar

Hi!

A friend has just rung me to tell me that Martin Setchell is currently touring in England and vouches as to his genius. Concert dates and venues are on
http://www.organist.co.nz/concerts.htm

Best wishes

David P

KB7DQH

http://www.herefordtimes.com/leisure/9074646.New_Zealand_organist_to_play_in_Hay/

QuoteA NEW Zealand music professor whose pipe organ was damaged in a devastating earthquake is making the most of Hay-on-Wye's magnificent Bevington Organ instead.

Canterbury University associate Martin Setchell has only been back to Christchurch Town Hall and his beloved instrument there briefly since the tragedy killed 181 people in February.

Back then many organs were destroyed or left unplayable, while three organ builders also lost their lives removing a damaged instrument from a church nearby.

Professor Setchell has been using his musical expertise to raise money for an organ building trust fund set up by the widow of one of the men that died.

He brings a collection of salon organ songs from the late 1800s to St Mary's Church tomorrow (Friday) at 7.30pm.

"I am especially pleased to be giving a concert on this Bevington since I first met this wonderful organ while it was in its original church in Holmer,"he said.

"That such a remarkable instrument has been preserved thanks to your local efforts is wonderful."

Tickets are available on the door.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/news/4812503/Organists-concert-for-quake-victims
QuoteA scholarship in Mr Stocker's name, which will provide training opportunities for young organ builders, is being formed.

South Island Organ Company director John Hargraves said the idea for the Neil Stocker Memorial Fund had come from Mr Stocker's wife, Margaret, who wanted to set up a fund to provide special educational opportunities for apprenticed or recently qualified young organ builders working fulltime in the craft in New Zealand.

"These might be for exchanges with overseas organ builders or special courses of instruction in any of the relevant skills that are needed," he said.

"Or it might be for organ playing tuition or attendance at conferences of groups such as NZ Fine Woodworking School, Organ Historical Trust of Australia, Organist Association of NZ, NZ Organ Preservation Trust, American Guild of Organists, Organ Historical Society of America or International Society of Organbuilders."

Mr Hargraves said donations from the concert will go to the Neil Stocker Memorial Fund, which is to be administered by the New Zealand Organ Preservation Trust.

While the rules of the fund had not been formalised yet, Mr Hargraves said it was already being well supported and had attracted more than $4000.

Information about the fund would be posted on the company's facebook and website, he said.

This article should adequately explain why he is touring England... Certainly the cause of Organ preservation and the training of new organists and organ builders is worthy of consideration if there is an issue as to whether or not to attend any of these concerts ???

Eric
KB7DQH

The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

Barrie Davis

Hi

I wish I had known about the Hay on Wye recital earlier, Martin is a brilliant player and I would have liked to have heard the new organ at this church played by him.

Barrie